SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

So this is my first Volvo, but I've worked on many other European and Domestic brands, so not my first rodeo under the hood. The XC90 seems well-built, and servicing it has been easy thus far. I like the power of the Yamaha V8.

Anyway, I've got a P2421 code that keeps popping (Evaporative Emission System Vent Valve Stuck Open), and I've read that the purge valve has an internal o-ring that can dry out and leak, causing failure. The problem is that I can't find the darn thing on my XC90 V8. I've read the forums and looked at the images from the parts catalog (Item #23 in the attached photo below, P/N 8653908), all of which say that it should be mounted on the fan shroud. I've looked everywhere - can't find it. I'm guessing that the purge valve is on the fan shroud for T5, T6, and 3.2 variants, but that it was relocated somewhere else on V8 models. Has anyone had this issue? Could you tell me where to look?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Assuming the code is correct, I believe what you're looking for is the wrong "valve".

Per VIDA, "ECM-P242100 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve Stuck Open. General Failure Information. No sub type information, B8444S" equates to the valve inside the leak diagnostic pump itself.

Condition
The engine control module (ECM) checks the function of the valve in the leakage diagnosis unit pump by measuring the current through the leakage diagnosis pump.
After the initial reference phase of leakage diagnosis, the airflow is guided from the reference leak to the tank system and begins to pressurize it. During this shift, there is a short drop in current consumption before pressure is built up in the tank system. The control module registers that current consumption drops too slowly or not at all, it takes it as an indication that the valve in the pump is damaged and the diagnostic trouble code is generated. The diagnostic trouble code can be diagnosed when leakage diagnosis is running.

So, if this valve is indeed your problem, you can locate the pump (PN 30774518) under the spare tire rear wheel well towards the front of the car (above the rear suspension subframe). Hopefully it's something more simple as the pump itself costs around $100.

As a side note, the valve you referenced in your original post is located below the upper engine mount for the V8.

Good luck !

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just changed this on the 3.2, but I assume its in the same place. It was right by the radiator for that one. If it is in the same spot, it literally will take about 5 minutes to change once you find it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ggleavitt, you were exactly correct as to the true issue AND the location of the purge valve. Thank you!
I found hidden on under the upper engine mount and, behind and below the beginning of the metal portion of the intake assembly. It is mounted vertically (for others that are looking for theirs in the future). As @jbchickenhead stated, this is a much different location than the purge valve on the 3.2 L.

I followed your advice and replaced my Leak Detection Pump (LDP) and all was good for awhile. P2421 went away. I got a genuine Bosch LDP unit (the Volvo OE-spec) off Amazon for waaaaay less than the dealer price. Installation was easy: I just dropped the spare and the pump was exposed.

Now I have this code and a CEL: P0441 - Incorrect Purge Flow. Thoughts? I checked for mis-routed lines when I replaced the LDP and no issues there.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone,
I am trying to deal with a P0455 Evap System Error code on a XC90 V8. I checked the gas cap, which seems fine. I am trying to check the purge valve as of step 2. Thanks to this thread I was able to locate it but taking it out to test it seems extremely difficult due to the position of the valve.
I took the top motor mount bar off which allowed one hand to reach the valve but unfortunately my second hand doesn't fit to hold on to the flexible tube that is attached to the lower end of the valve (I assume that is the evap-line coming from the back of the car). Has anybody managed to change this valve on a V8 engine and could post a hint or instructions on how to exactly do so?

Thanks for your help and best regards,

Nestor

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Model year and/or mileage?
Rear engine photo is in here- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...into-a-P1-chassis-B8444S-technical-discussion , shows the evap valve and connections. I suspect the canister side is that stout nylon hose at the top. The bottom rubber hose runs along a channel on the back side of the rear bank and pokes up right behind the FPS, connects to the upper intake manifold right under the neck for vacuum.

I have to ask the obvious question, you’ve had this code for how long? These can take a few drive cycles to clear on their own if you cannot clear them yourself outright.

If the issue has been around for a while, before you replace the valve I might walk that plastic hose on the top of the valve all the way back through the canister to the leak detection pump (no need to take any covers off unless you see obvious damage). I think there’s a junction between hoses before it heads to the canister (somewhere around or back of the fuel filter), remember someone had an issue there once, but walk it all the way back, look for something wrong. The car is coding a "large leak" on the leak-down test (>1.0mm) so I'm guessing it's something more obvious than not.

Please let us know what the issue ends up being caused by and good luck with your repair.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi ggleavitt,
Thank you for this great information and sorry for being unresponsive for so long. The references helped me seeing how the purge valve connects but I ran into some other issues with car that made the evap issue a priority b for a while.
However, seeing that it’s still not quite trivial to get to the purge valve I (thankfully) held off on taking it out and took it to my local euro-garage. They spotted and fixed it for around 150$CAD in an hour which I surely would have not... Just thought I’d let the Community know what it was: When you take the rear-right wheel off and then the cover above you expose the gas-infill pipe which has a vent-line coming off the side. This vent line goes down and then around the corner of the wheel housing towards the canister. The mechanic said it’s bracket came off, therefore the line was rubbing against the corner of the wheel housing causing a hole to form. He reattached the line to keep it from rubbing against the corner and JB-welded the whole. Would have been quite a task to find without a smoke machine. However, if you know to specifically look at this location you might be able to see if it has hole or not. I hope this helps somebody else in the future, let me know if any of the description is unclearl.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts