SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m getting this code on my ‘04 2.5T. Before taking it to the shop, I thought I’d try and not get raped in fee’s and take a crack at it. It’s nota misaligned gas cap. The code reappeared after clearing it and ensuring togas cap is properly seated. So I’m onto the evap valve and the next check point...

So I found this on Matthew’s Volvo site:

“Looking under the hood, at the driver's side of the motor, look between the air cleaner and the fuse box. in the gap between these three items, you will see it buried with hose and electrical connections”

Is this this the part?
EEE22F63-0A70-4255-B3A5-595E61F69D84.jpg

AF58C37E-9243-48A9-998E-26867D1E3BD0.jpg

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
P0455 is a Gross Leak. Check the cap seal for cracks and make sure its a Volvo cap. On a 2004 which is now 16 model years old, all sorts of hoses can crack or split causing this fault.
Your picture is NOT the evap purge valve but the brake vacuum switch. Purge valve is under the intake.
Given you own a 2017 Corvette and a 2013 Mercedes, I think you can pony up for some professional diag and save yourself some money. Just saying rich guy, LOL.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you think I make my vette payment? :D

P0455 is a Gross Leak. Check the cap seal for cracks and make sure its a Volvo cap. On a 2004 which is now 16 model years old, all sorts of hoses can crack or split causing this fault.
Your picture is NOT the evap purge valve but the brake vacuum switch. Purge valve is under the intake.
Given you own a 2017 Corvette and a 2013 Mercedes, I think you can pony up for some professional diag and save yourself some money. Just saying rich guy, LOL.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...ve-Emission-System-Leak-Detected-(small-leak) , this was a small leak being reported but you can see the condition of the seal in the photo link.

Gross evap leak on a 15 year old vehicle, it's going to be something rubber. If it's not the gas cap seal, check the charcoal canister j-hose and the rubber coupler between the evap hose sections going to the purge valve at the front of the vehicle as a start. Someone recently noted a fuel filler neck issue (might have been cracked vent hose, can't recall). Walk the whole system, whatever it is will be obvious if the leak is gross (differentiation noted in VIDA for small vs gross, can't recall off the top of my head)).

VIDA is available on the OBD forum, get it loaded up on a working PC and you'll have a ton of reference information at hand, including all the troubleshooting workflows for code errors (see this- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?166473-OBDII-to-Volvo-Code-Conversion-List for OBDII to the Volvo codes you'll see listed in VIDA). If you're going to be keeping this vehicle, consider an investment in a DICE, can find links in the OBD forum as well.

Good luck with your repair.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This vehicle has been solid but I agree that a 15-year old car, any car, will show it's age. I'll start with a new gas cap and the proceed as you suggest if that doesn't do it.

Thanks.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...ve-Emission-System-Leak-Detected-(small-leak) , this was a small leak being reported but you can see the condition of the seal in the photo link.

Gross evap leak on a 15 year old vehicle, it's going to be something rubber. If it's not the gas cap seal, check the charcoal canister j-hose and the rubber coupler between the evap hose sections going to the purge valve at the front of the vehicle as a start. Someone recently noted a fuel filler neck issue (might have been cracked vent hose, can't recall). Walk the whole system, whatever it is will be obvious if the leak is gross (differentiation noted in VIDA for small vs gross, can't recall off the top of my head)).

VIDA is available on the OBD forum, get it loaded up on a working PC and you'll have a ton of reference information at hand, including all the troubleshooting workflows for code errors (see this- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?166473-OBDII-to-Volvo-Code-Conversion-List for OBDII to the Volvo codes you'll see listed in VIDA). If you're going to be keeping this vehicle, consider an investment in a DICE, can find links in the OBD forum as well.

Good luck with your repair.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I replaced the gas cap but the initial ’loose cap warning” on the DIC followed by the CEL and code came back after a week.

Where is the charcoal cannister located? I'll check that and the J-hose next

·
Registered
2005 XC90 V8, IPD sways and endlinks, currently shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde
540 Posts
Have identical issue as OP. @ggleavitt, do you happen to have a photo or diagram of the location of the evap charcoal canister and hoses ? Do you have to drop the spare to gain access ? Does the V8 also have the cheesy 3” splice hose just aft of the front subframe ? Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I don't have any photos outright, canister is on top of the front part of the rear subframe, above and forward of the spare. Yes, you need to drop the spare to really see it. There is indeed mention in a few posts about the splice between the two long tubing sections, cannot recall if this towards the front subframe or not (thought it was more towards the rear subframe). If you see it please validate location

·
Registered
2005 XC90 V8, IPD sways and endlinks, currently shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde
540 Posts
Will do. Thanks.

·
Registered
540 Posts
EVAP canister is on top of rear subframe on left hand (US driver's) side. Dropping rear spare and putting left rear wheel on jack stand allows access (or a lift if you're fortunate). Leak Detection Pump (LDP) is also on top of rear subframe, but more centrally located. P0455 can be due to several things including big leak in system, or bad LDP that won't run to draw a vacuum. Smoke test failed to identify any obvious leaks. Mitchell1 register indicates most common cause at this age is bad LDP. R&R LDP and reset. EVAP system still not "ready", but hopefully this will fix it.

Reactions: BKXC90

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I had the same issue. the test takes a long time to run, but eventually it did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts