SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my car to a local shop that specializes in Volvos. My check engine light has been on for a while even though it seems to be running fine. The shop that I took it to told me that I need to replace my Evap. Cannister because there is a leak in a small hose for this. I have done basic repairs and maintenance on my cars in the past and thought I should go ahead and fix this myself because their price of $220 seemed a little high. Can someone explain where this is located so that I can replace this? Also should I try a generic brand to save some money from the Volvo brand?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Re: Evap. Cannister location for '01 Volvo V70t5 (Steely)

$220 is really good. Remember to start by dropping the exhaust from the cat back.....

My shop charged much, much more.....

Landru
'01 V70 T5M Venitian Red 199,495 miles
'98 V70 GLT Blue Green 129,000 miles

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Re: Evap. Cannister location for '01 Volvo V70t5 (fastbrickt5)

Ummmm, I find it hard to believe that your cannister is bad. This is a common source for a check eng. light. There is a "J"/candy cane shaped evap hose that connects to the cannister, VERY prone to cracking. Get in touch with BVV-should be like $40-50.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Evap. Cannister location for '01 Volvo V70t5 (Steely)

Thank you for the information. I did not know that it was in such an odd place. At least it seems odd to me. Considering where it is, it may be more involved than what I want to handle. In the four years that I have owned this car it seems to be more difficult to work on than any other car I have owned. The Haynes manual is a great idea. I know that I can get one throught IPD. Do think getting an "off brand" is a good idea?

On another note it also seems to have very fragile suspension pieces that frequently need to be replaced. This is the first Volvo I have owned, and I have enjoyed the surprising performance, but given the reliability of this car it may be my last.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Evap. Cannister location for '01 Volvo V70t5 (volvodrummer)

In response to "volvo drummer" I was wondering why the cannister would have to replaced because they actually said that "there is a small crack in the hose". If I just have to replace the hose that would seem to be a lot less trouble than replacing the whole freakin' thing! Thank you also for your information.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Re: Evap. Cannister location for '01 Volvo V70t5 (fastbrickt5)

No problem. I have just never personally seen a canister go bad. The hoses crack frequently. BTW, the canister is mounted above the rear end. Also, use a mirror when looking for/replacing the hose. it's tight back there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.