SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken European delivery of a Volvo? I'm considering the purchase of V70XC with delivery in Europe and would like any feedback, pros and cons. Thanks!<P>Wendy<P>

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wendy -<P>We picked up a new 2001 V70 T5 in Belgium in Jan. 2001. I could give you a snoot full of thoughts about it and also about the XC itself, but will give you just a few salient points:<P>* See IPD's newsletter and/or website; they recently picked up a 2001 V70 at Gothenberg, and gave a good report on the process.<P>* Try to schedule your pickup for a month of pleasant weather because the car is going to get cruddy driving around Europe , particularly during inclement weather months, and unless you find a way to get it cleaned up before you turn it in for shipment, it will be shipped dirty and arrive home weeks later even dirtier.<P>* Based on our experience of picking up the car at a location other than Gothenberg, I would say to pick it up in Gothenberg if at all possible.<P>* Did you read my comments ref the XC on your earlier post? Based on my ownership of a 2000 XC and a 2001 T5, I recommend not getting a XC unles you absolutely, positively have a need for AWD. With the XC you are paying big penalties for AWD; it is a compromise design by Volvo aimed specifically at people leaning towards the SUV market.<P>* If you do indeed want to " Drive Fast, Take Chances " you would enjoy it alot more in a T5...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roger,<BR>I did see your comments on my last post and appreciate your insight. I am looking for AWD as this would be my winter car. I don't want FWD and unless I'm wrong, that's the only way the T5 comes. I don't mind giving up a little performance for sure-footedness in inclement weather. The other vehicle I was considering is the Audi A6 Avant Quattro or the All-Road. The Volvo seems a better value for the $$s and Audi doesn't offer Euro delivery.<P>My speed vehicle is my 2001 Audi TT 225Q Roadster.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wendy -<P>I grew up in New England; went to college in Conn., so I guess I can understand where you're coming from (or wanting to go to, as the case may be).<P>I have owned just about every type of drive known, from RWD to FWD, and AWD, 4WD, and even some vehicles where it is driver selectable from 2WD to AWD to 4WD, and have driven in the worst of conditions, from mud, sand, glare ice, deep snow, packed snow, etc.<BR>so I have a pretty fair idea how each functions, and the benefits and drawbacks of each. There are many nuances of each, and each manufacturer has their own special way of providing each system.<P>So with this, I wish you the best in making your selection, and arranging for a suitable delivery of same.<P>This is off the top of my head, but isn't one of the reasons that AutoStadt (Sp ?) was created was to provide VW and Audi with a big splashy delivery center for European Delivery of their vehicles? If that is so, I wonder when they will get it in gear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roger,<BR>Europeans can pick up their vehicles in Ingolstadt now. We were there last summer and they are building big time. I'm not sure why they don't have a delivery program for us here in the States though. Maybe its coming.<P>Perhaps I should wait for a Volvo with the haldex system...<P>I have some pictures of our visit there at <A HREF="http://members.tripod.com/Wennch/Ingolstadt/Ingolstadt.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://members.tripod.com/Wennch/Ingolstadt/Ingolstadt.htm</A> <P>Wendy<P>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts