SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to remove my roof rack rails from the top of my 96 850 wagon. I see there are three screws on either rail that connects them to the roof. When I remove the rails, what will be left, just the rut going down each side of the car? How does the original trim without the rack support go on? Does it snap into that rut or does it get screwed into those holes? Any help is good. I will also have a set of euro rack rails for sale when I am done ;-)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Euro Roof rail removal? (od1)

Hi,<p>I do not have the roof rails on my 850 estate (Wagon......I believe you guys on the other side of the pond call them.)<p>I removed my cover strips recently because I was having water ingress in the rear load area, ( Part of life for us here in the UK I'm afraid !!) and my dealer suggested I look under the strips and re-seal the holes that are used to secure the roof rails, if fitted.<p>The strips are clipped on with metal fastners spaced about every 6 inches. About 12 from front to rear, each side. some of mine were rusted and needed to be replaced and cost almost £1 each from the main dealer.<p>The rails can be removed but you will need to obtain the cover strips that run over the channel. You might be lucky to get a pair from a breakers, otherwise it will cost a fortune from the dealers !<p><br>Hope this helps, a little....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Re: Euro Roof rail removal? (Marcel850t5)

When the cover strips on my saloon 850 suffered from UV impact and lost their paint in patches I had to pay over £200 to have them replaced - £200 for the parts, that is!<p>The price surprised even the dealers involved, so you may want to reconsider removal, unless you can defray the cost by selling the rails on to someone who wants them - they are also VERY expensive from a Volvo dealer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts