SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started experiencing the dreaded etm/tps issue. My throttle randomly goes dead, rough/surging idle, and possibly delayed starting. I just bought the car 4 weeks ago with the b4 servo issue. Is it possible for the etm problem to be fixed by swapping the old tps with a contactless one? Or do I have to replace the entire module? If I go the contactless route is it just an easy bolt on installation? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Are you positive it's not the maf? because the symptoms are very similar

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It also just stalled on me twice tonight. It's the first time it has done that. Also I didnt think 0 throttle response was a MAF symptom. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
It also just stalled on me twice tonight. It's the first time it has done that. Also I didnt think 0 throttle response was a MAF symptom. Am I wrong?
I've been having a similar issue, but mine is intermittent. Car will run fine for a week then run like crap, rough idle and stalling. What year is your car?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoops thought I put my car in my sig. Will fix when I get home. It's a 2002 s60 awd.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the Bosch version not the marelli version so I guess I just need to replace the whole thing unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have the Bosch version not the marelli version so I guess I just need to replace the whole thing unfortunately.
If you have the Bosch one I wouldn't assume automatically that the etm is bad. They are supposed to be the updated one with less problems. Did you get the stored codes read through vida?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not yet, my dad has one but the earliest I can take it up there is Jan 1st. I dont want to chance it not making a 5 hour drive. What are the symptoms of a bad MAF?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Not yet, my dad has one but the earliest I can take it up there is Jan 1st. I dont want to chance it not making a 5 hour drive. What are the symptoms of a bad MAF?
When my maf goes bad I get horrible idle like it wants to turn off. Stalls out sometimes. Throttle response wont register at first... you can check it by unplugging it, then turn the car on and drive it. If it drives normal then you know its the maf

·
Registered
661 Posts
Thanks a lot for the info bicka. I will do this test in the morning.
Okay let us know what happens so we don't have another uncompleted thread

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After driving around for 3 days with an unplugged MAF I have not had any issues! In fact it has a lot more power now. So apparently a bad MAF can cause 0 throttle response as well. Thanks for saving me a couple hundred bucks bicka! The loss of power was no apparent to me originally because this was my first volvo and I bought it in this shape.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts