SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I can stop holding my breath and I actually own an R, here's one of many things on my mind:<p>I've heard that ethanol is dissolving car parts, esp. in older cars. I hear that in some places all you can get is ethanol 'gas.'<p>Is this a concern for me (and other R owners?) Or did I fall for idiot box scare mongering? Are there steps I should take?<p>Failing all that, and I get stuck using the stuff, what's going to dissolve or get damaged?<p>LG

·
Registered
577 Posts
Re: Ethanol damage? (LikeGreen)

I've been told that ethanol does corrode seals and etc especially on my outboard boat motor where I've had idle issues with ethanol fuel at my local gas station. After using starbright fuel treatment my idle issue went away. From what I've been told corrosion isn't as much an issue with car engines since a car gets much more use and doesn't sit idle for a very long time like a boat.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Re: Ethanol damage? (volvofla)

When I switched from race fuel to alcohol in my race car the alcohol found every little leak and did damage the rubber fuel lines. Don't know if there is a strong enough relationship to ethanol or not.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>LikeGreen</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now that I can stop holding my breath and I actually own an R, here's one of many things on my mind:<p>I've heard that ethanol is dissolving car parts, esp. in older cars. I hear that in some places all you can get is ethanol 'gas.'<p>Is this a concern for me (and other R owners?) Or did I fall for idiot box scare mongering? Are there steps I should take?<p>Failing all that, and I get stuck using the stuff, what's going to dissolve or get damaged?<p>LG</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I can't imagine ANY place in North America you would go that you would get <i>stuck</i> using pure ethanol or E85. <p>10% "winterized" ethanol fuel is fine.<br>

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Ethanol damage? (Needsdecaf)

I 'heard' even 10% isn't so great.<p>But I freely admit to not knowing much.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>LikeGreen</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I 'heard' even 10% isn't so great.<br>But I freely admit to not knowing much.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Ethanol has about 2/3 of the energy density as gasoline, so 100% gas is more powerful than the "E10" blend now mandated in most states in winter or year-round.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Ethanol damage? (mpdbrown)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>mpdbrown</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rubber/plastic hates ethanol. no matter what concentration.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I have been running gasahol blends for years now (they have been law in NY for some time) with no issues to any of my fuel components in several cars.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Re: Ethanol damage? (mpdbrown)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>mpdbrown</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rubber/plastic hates ethanol. no matter what concentration.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>That is what happened to the Camaro but it was 100% racing alcohol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts