SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am reposting this thread from http://support.volvocars.com/forum/topic158-estimated-date-for-drivers-profile-update.aspx in case we have better information here. Sorry for cross posting across two different boards. Since it has been mentioned that there won't be driver's profile in the November Update, Can anyone give an estimated date on when this would likely be available. If this is going to be released soon then I can make an appointment for the November Update after they release driver's profiles too, this will avoid wasting time taking the car to the dealership multiple times. Thanks for the information.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
As of right now, there is no estimated date for Drivers Profile. It is unknown if we will ever see it. They say they are continuing to work on it though...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Anyone would just be guessing. And if any dealer tells you, they are just guessing too -- at least at this time. Volvo has not announced any date. I communicated with an official on the software team about this only a couple days ago.

Now, with that caveat that I too am only guessing, I would say it will likely be at least 6 more months. They appear to do minor software revisions in-between 6 month more significant product cycles so since it missed this one and is a major software feature I suspect we're looking at May.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Silly question from my side: is the "drivers profile" feature the individual, customisable, profile that can be accessed by pressing the "scroll wheel" in the mid-console (eco, comfort, dynamic, ... and individual)?

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
That would be pretty disappointing, I would be happy to see at least a minimalistic version where they can link the car keys to seat/mirror memory settings.
Oh, I agree. Even my prior QX60, which I wasn't very fond of, adjusted radio memory presets and seat/mirror settings based upon which key fob was used by the driver.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I'm very surprised Volvo missed this feature on the new XC90!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm very surprised Volvo missed this feature on the new XC90!
Just to be clear, Volvo has a good deal of this feature available today, whereby you can select drive mode, steering, suspension, etc and create your own "DRIVE MODE". I think what people are talking about is combining this feature with the other the other memory settings for seats, mirros, etc. AND BEING ABLE TO PERSIST THEM. Correct?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Just to be clear, Volvo has a good deal of this feature available today, whereby you can select drive mode, steering, suspension, etc and create your own "DRIVE MODE". I think what people are talking about is combining this feature with the other the other memory settings for seats, mirros, etc. AND BEING ABLE TO PERSIST THEM. Correct?
Yes. If I press seat memory button #2, then I not only want it to adjust the seat and mirrors for me, but also change it to MY individual drive mode and have the radio show only MY presets. The single set of radio presets is very annoying, as my wife and I like to listen to completely different kinds of stations.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yes the persistence, ability to start up and automatically have all your preferred settings active is the ideal. And what was promised.

Chmax, this is a different thing than the individual drive mode, which is a useful stop-gap.

My hope was that there would be a lot of individual settings available, and Id also like multiple individual/custom drive modes, which driver profiles would theoretically allow. But it would be great if it included gauge theme settings, interior lighting, media settings, pretty much everything which is selectable should be savable to a profile.

·
Registered
673 Posts
p.
My hope was that there would be a lot of individual settings available, and Id also like multiple individual/custom drive modes, which driver profiles would theoretically allow. But it would be great if it included gauge theme settings, interior lighting, media settings, pretty much everything which is selectable should be savable to a profile.
I would love for the profiles to have this level of customization as well. From a software standpoint, I think it would be easy to implement.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Silly question from my side: is the "drivers profile" feature the individual, customisable, profile that can be accessed by pressing the "scroll wheel" in the mid-console (eco, comfort, dynamic, ... and individual)?
It's more than this. It's a whole set of functionality that the owner's manual details but is missing, some of which is unique and some of which is basic to most cars. For example, with a vast majority of cars with key fobs these days, if you own key 1 and your wife own's key 2, those two keys are associated with memory position 1 and 2 in the car, respectively. So the car knows when you are the one opening the door to set the seat, side mirrors, HUD, etc. to your preferences. With the Volvo you have to manually do this because without the Driver's Profile there is no way to link the key fob with the memory setting.

The profile was also supposed to allow you to have your own customized preferences for your radio favorites, climate, etc. None of that is possible without it. There was also supposed to be a "red key" accessory you could get for your teenage drivers in the household that allowed you to set limits on speed, etc. Again, not possible with the Profile. There's more but you get the idea.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's more than this. It's a whole set of functionality that the owner's manual details but is missing.
I am not sure if anyone noticed but the printed owners manual/material that came with the SUV does not mention anywhere about the Driver's Profile. The only place I found details about this was the online owner's manual. Also, the owner's manual provided with the SUV is very short about 160 pages maybe, whereas the online manual is over 570 pages long. Probably, they did this from a legal point of view?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
It would be interesting to know what issues Volvo is having with implementing this feature as other brands have been able to offer this feature for many years now.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I am not sure if anyone noticed but the printed owners manual/material that came with the SUV does not mention anywhere about the Driver's Profile. The only place I found details about this was the online owner's manual. Also, the owner's manual provided with the SUV is very short about 160 pages maybe, whereas the online manual is over 570 pages long. Probably, they did this from a legal point of view?
The printed manual that comes with the XC90 is more of a quick start guide. The fact that it's as thick as many car's full manuals just goes to show how many features the vehicle has. The full version of the manual can be viewed directly on the Sensus screen. It can also be downloaded as an app on your phone, or as a .pdf from Volvo's website.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
As of right now, there is no estimated date for Drivers Profile. It is unknown if we will ever see it. They say they are continuing to work on it though...
I am pretty sure we will see improvements in the Driver Profile function...

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I don't think it was legal. The printed was isn't designed to be comprehensive -- it's just an overview of key features. I find it useless really and just use my phone or iPad to refer to a copy I keep locally in PDF form in Apple's Books app that I can keyword search.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I can't find information on Driver Profiles in the latest version of the online manual. It was in the original version.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't think it was legal. The printed was isn't designed to be comprehensive -- it's just an overview of key features. I find it useless really and just use my phone or iPad to refer to a copy I keep locally in PDF form in Apple's Books app that I can keyword search.
Disclaimer, I am probably completely wrong about this but the only reason I thought it was due to legal concerns, is because if a certain feature is described in the owner manual and is not found in the car, can't anyone claim it as a bug as car is not functioning as per the description of the manufacturer - lemon laws etc., may probably come into picture.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can't find information on Driver Profiles in the latest version of the online manual. It was in the original version.
You are correct, the downloaded manual on my laptop has multiple references to Driver Profile as evident by a quick key word search. The current online manual has only 1 reference of Driver Profile on page 110. Not sure why they changed it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts