SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to share this story to help others avoid a problem I had.

Last month I had Volvo of Toronto install my 3" Ferrita DP and cat-back from EST. Turns out they really botched the cat-back installation. In their defence I believe they did not have the experience needed to deal with exhaust pipe-fitting, especially once they made a mistake and had no clue on how to reverse and repair it.
The assistant service manager is a good guy as is the Volvo tech (and fellow R-owner). However, I believe they were heavily biased against this work from the start.

The Volvo tech made one very simple mistake: He installed the EST resonator upsidedown (that is 'seam' down and 'words' up). There is a very subtle angle to the inlet and outlet pipes on the resonator, these angles are critical in order to keep the back of the resonator away from the drive shaft. I'll give the Volvo tech the benefit of the doubt here and assume he didn't notice his error and instead pushed on and tried to make it all fit. To do so and to save the driveshaft he installed the safety bracket upsidedown to hold the outlet pipe of the resonator down and away from the drive shaft.

Additinally the Volvo tech shimmed the rear dual-pipe hanger brackets with about 1/2" of washers. The whole system was hanging really low and the rubber hangers were stretched to the max. In this picuture I had removed the shimms but it was still too low for my liking:

The Volvo road tested it and probably thought what a piece of junk and probably said to himself "just another crappy aftermarket exhaust system". When he turned it over to me, he and the assist. service manager explained they were concenred the fit was bad and that they had to do extra work to keep it away from the drive shaft, they were pleasant and said not to worry that I can always put the stock cat-back on. I was just happy to have the DP on and figured I could adjust the cat-back at home myself and got out of the excited to drive it.

When I drove away, the thing sounded and felt really loud. My cup holded and verious other interiors parts virbrated like crazy. My initial thoughts were that I had make a mistake and that I'd hate the new exhaust system. Little did I know it was louder insiade the car than outside the car, yes, that was crazy!

At home later that day I was able to get a slightly better fit but still had the bad vibrations due to the metal-on-metal of the upsidedown bracket tightly wedged against the outlet pipe of the resonator. I removed it but then the drive shaft rubbed (what a crazy sound that makes!).

I lived with it for a month but this week I decided to take the cat-back off and install it correctly.

Once it was off the car I could clearly see that the resonator needed to be installed the other way to make the angles work right.

In my excitement and frustration I neglected to take pictures that show the angles (oops) so you'll have trust me. This pictures shows the parts in the box and will help visualize what I'm talking about:

I heated and chisled the dual pipes but there was no way I was going to get them appart from the resonator (I moved them about a 1/2" and then gave up).

I talked to Frank at EST and although he wasn't sure there was a difference in the way you install the resonator we agreed that it seemed abvious to install the resonator with the seem up (hidden). I think that's common sense... hello Volvo tech ??? Frank has sold so many EST cat-back systems to R owners and never had any fitment problems so this is by no means a dig at him.

Knowing I couldn't fix this in my garage lying under my R I started searching for a good performance muffler shop and came across these guys: http://www.noyzboyz.com. I called them up and and explained my problem and owner Sav Mitas was very friendly and sloted me in for 8am the next morning.

Sav and his tech Steve sized up the cat-back and agreed the simple plan would be to remove the resonator and re-install it seem up. Steve got the dual-pipes red-hot but could still not separate them so they went to plan B. They cut the 3" resonator outlet pipe, bulged it and slipped it back over the cut pipe just before the Y into the duals. Doing so allowed them to line up the whole system from the DP flex right to the muffler to get the best possible fit. We left about 1" of clearance to to the drive shaft and 3/4" to the drivers side of the haldex and the duals are now nice and snug to the rear end before the bend up to the meet the muffler. Steve finished it off with some really sweet TIG welding around the 3" joint and around the joints at the duals (no more clamps and leaky joints!).

The rubber hangers are no longer overstreched and there was no need to use the safety brack upsidedown to keep the system clear of the drive shaft.

I realize now that the Volvo tech either noticed his mistake and had no way to correct it (I don't think he's a TIG welder) or maybe he just figured it was a crappy aftermarket cat-back and assumed he had to shim it to make it 'fit'. Had he spent a bit more time doing a test-fit and not pushed the duals in beyond the point of no return he could have saved me from this mess. Even once he got it into this bad state what he should have done was put the stock system back on and owned up to his mistake and send me to a qualified muffler shop.

Frank and I talked about it and although we both know doing a test fit is common practice and that most people use common sence and install things with the ugly side hidden (ie. seem-up in this case) he will now be including a small note with his EST cat-back sytems that explains the the proper way to install the resonator.

Once and for all my EST cat-back is now properly installed, it fits just right and it sounds GREAT outside the car and inside the car!

(click on the pic to activate the video)

Thanks to the high quality parts from Frank at EST and my new buddy Sav Mitas at NoyzBoyz I'm very happy with the modified exhaust on my R.

For anyone in the Toronto area doing exhaust work of any kind, I highly recommend http://www.NoyzBoyz.com !!

LTA

ps. Sav - since we're friends now maybe you can chear Italy on in the World Cup, eh? (you know I would have cheared for Greece! ...This should get Yannis' attention)

Modified by LTA at 1:38 PM 6-14-2006

Modified by LTA at 2:04 PM 6-14-2006

Modified by LTA at 4:00 PM 6-14-2006

·
Registered
506 Posts
When doing any mods the key to it is a GOOD installer! I wouldn't trust any dealer to do any work with anything aftermarket. If they can't figure it out or get it to work right guess who's fault it is? THE AFTERMARKET PARTS of course!!! A competent shop is your volvo's best friend.

There should be a thread (sticky) with great mod friendly service shops for our R's.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Re: EST cat-back - 'gotcha' by Volvo and fixed by NoyzBoyz (LTA)

hmmm, I got a dual Heico put on last year and it was FAR louder than I expected. Maybe I'll pay tham a visit and make sure it is fit correctly.

Same culprit - Volvo of Toronto. ...although aside from the exhaust everything else they have ever odne on my car is top notch.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Re: (nikhsub1)

Quote, originally posted by nikhsub1 »
I wouldn't trust any dealer to do any work with anything aftermarket.

Ususally, but there are exceptions to the rule - my dealer is incredible, my tech calls me with install/test drive updates from his cell in the bay and on the road!

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (blf)

That first install is way ugly, like someone in training would do. I think I would do a better job than that. I like the "stretched" rubber there. Do you think these guys would have thought to say "hey, there's a problem here"?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: EST cat-back - 'gotcha' by Volvo and fixed by NoyzBoyz (ss60)

Quote, originally posted by ss60 »
hmmm, I got a dual Heico put on last year and it was FAR louder than I expected. Maybe I'll pay tham a visit and make sure it is fit correctly.

Same culprit - Volvo of Toronto. ...although aside from the exhaust everything else they have ever odne on my car is top notch.

Volvo of Toronto has taken EXCELLENT care of my two S60's over the alst two years as did Volvo of Okaville in previours years (same owner). In this case I was there getting other work doen (axle spline fix) and figured it would be easy for them to just bolt on the DP and cat-back but that was a mistake. Out of their element they just aren't that good.

I think there is alot to be said about getting the right parts and the right intallers. I think I would have done the cat-back right had I installed it myself but you still can't beat having it welded versus using clamps.

NoyzBoyz can fabricate fully custom systems including custom 3" DP's. They'll even tack-weld things up for you to listen to before completing the job thereby giving you an opportunity to say yeah or nay to the sound. Sav told me he's let customers listen to different resonators before they complete the welding. Could be hit and miss that way but atleast you'll have a chance of getting the sound you like. Theirs rates are very reasonable and IMHO you dont' have to worry about getting ripped off.

I still think you can't go wrong using pre-made parts such as those from Frank at EST. You have the experience of all the SS members using those proven parts with video/sounds clips and all! If I had to do it all over again I would still have got the EST cat-back and race-proven Ferrita 3" DP from Frank but I would have used NoyzBoyz to install it and weld it right the first time. I can see now that you might save $80 to $100 (or $150 @ Volvo
) if you bolt it on yourself but for such little money NoyzBoyz can make it fit better than ever.

As for the sound of the EST combo of cat-back and 3" DP it's perfect for me. Absolutely ZERO drone (contrary to my initial posting), quiet as stock when you need it to be and just loud enough when you push it. In fact, there's a nice burble when slowing down in low gears and a cool poping when pushing it hard and changing gears. I really love it.

LTA

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (needsdecaf)

Quote, originally posted by needsdecaf »
That first install is way ugly, like someone in training would do. I think I would do a better job than that. I like the "stretched" rubber there. Do you think these guys would have thought to say "hey, there's a problem here"?

You think it was bad in that pic, man you should have seen it before I took out the 1/2 inch of washers!

I'm going to e-mail the Asst. service manager with my findings and let him know his R-owner tech really messed up. The Volvo guys need to know this was NOT "just another lowsy aftermarket exhaust system".

LTA

Modified by LTA at 1:34 PM 6-14-2006

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: (nikhsub1)

Quote, originally posted by nikhsub1 »
When doing any mods the key to it is a GOOD installer! I wouldn't trust any dealer to do any work with anything aftermarket. If they can't figure it out or get it to work right guess who's fault it is? THE AFTERMARKET PARTS of course!!! A competent shop is your volvo's best friend.

There should be a thread (sticky) with great mod friendly service shops for our R's.

Yeah . . . my dealership doesn't have a clue how to install anything . . . and certainly not on any of the NUMEROUS modified Volvo's driving around Charlotte . . .

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: (R_Rated)

Quote, originally posted by R_Rated »
who has a modified R in Charlotte? I thought they were all stock?

Yeah. You haven't had any performance work done here, and of course all performance parts for my car just magically appeared on the vehicle.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Re: (R Salesman)

Quote, originally posted by R Salesman »
Yeah. You haven't had any performance work done here, and of course all performance parts for my car just magically appeared on the vehicle.
Right, I should have used 'most' instead of 'any'. I will warn though, my statement stands for dealers in and around Los Angeles. Anytime I've asked the 5 or 6 dealers about installing anything aftermarket the answer is either: "No we don't do that" or "Sure but we are not responsible". I don't like either answer but would choose the first over the latter.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Re: EST cat-back - 'gotcha' by Volvo and fixed by NoyzBoyz (LTA)

That is unbelievable. I would not pay for that installation by the dealership, and would ask them to pay for the fix. They should not agree to install things that they don't understand, it is simple mechanics. I don't work on cars every day, but was able to pre-fit the EST system, figure out that the center section is direction specific and install the cat back in one hour with no fitment problems at all. This is a great system and it fits perfectly. My dealership was impressed with the system and commented that they have had problems with Evolve products and will no longer install them.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: EST cat-back - 'gotcha' by Volvo and fixed by NoyzBoyz (Turbo Chad)

Quote, originally posted by Turbo Chad »
That is unbelievable. I would not pay for that installation by the dealership, and would ask them to pay for the fix. They should not agree to install things that they don't understand, it is simple mechanics. I don't work on cars every day, but was able to pre-fit the EST system, figure out that the center section is direction specific and install the cat back in one hour with no fitment problems at all. This is a great system and it fits perfectly. My dealership was impressed with the system and commented that they have had problems with Evolve products and will no longer install them.

I agree Turbo Chad, thanks (and thanks for bringing this thread back on topic). I think I found the .01% that didn't see the obvious and put the resonator in upsidedown. I will compose an e-mail for the Volvo of Toronto assist. service manager and ask them for a refund, just picking my battles right now but it's on the list.

Even if I don't get the ~$100 or whatever back from Volvo I don't feel too bad about it since the cat-back and DP deal from EST was SUPER and with the welding that NoyzBoyz did I feel very good about the system now.

LTA

·
Registered
355 Posts
Frank's a good guy. Went to pick up my new Heico's from him today. I forgot the house number as I drove down the street, then ofcourse I saw the V70 on Heico's and put one and one together. Nice to have some local support for my aftermarket needs within a drives distance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts