SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Wife cakes called the other day with a CEL scare on the s40. Turns out we got the p0171 code, which made me panic as it is too lean :confused:
That said car has ~42k miles, shouldn't be in need of 02's yet, and never runs leaded gas etc..
I haven't pulled the plugs yet to verify color for lean/rich condition which I think would lead me to check either exhaust if it shows good color (02's are getting extra air from leak?), or intake connections if it is in fact a lean condition.

I read a previous post about this: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?145137-P0171-System-Too-Lean
How hard is the PCV fix and should the dealer fix that under a technical bulletin or what is the issue there? If not is the factory part easy to install, or a walkthrough or? Are there any other root causes I should look at to remedy like a dirty MAF or intake plumbing.
I haven't pressure tested the intake plumbing yet to check for a vacuum leak, but I suspect it is all solid. Just looking for some guidance on how to get to the finish line quicker. Thanks all

·
Registered
63,540 Posts
I know it's not a specific MAF code but if I replace the MAF sensor... that code goes away 99% of the time!
(and the car runs great)!
Bring it to Volvo for a more specific Volvo code

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bring it to volvo... is that for the Vadis scan? I am still trying to figure our how these cars work, as every manufacturer has their own nuances?

Seriously a MAF sensor goes bad in 5 years or ~40K miles? That is disappointing

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any chance the PCV would be throwing the light as well? I just am having a hard time swallowing the MAF being bad already at ~40k miles. If the faulty PCV/hoses just now is showing symptoms then sure that is more digestible and an easy fix

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They want to hook it up to their scanner first before they do the work, has anyone else had that issue? I don't want them to say well clearly that is not the problem so we aren't fixing it... I would much rather they just fix it and then we see if my issue clears up right? Did anyone else have the run around with getting the PCV issue fixed with no labor costs etc?

·
Registered
104 Posts
What year is your Volvo, there is a PCV bulletin out for certain vehicles, 2004 thru 2008. The PCV costs about $167.00 from Tasca parts. There is also a detailed removal and installation of this part. You also need a hose. Another issue is typically the PCV will emit a loud sucking sound when the engine is running on idle. It is relieved by removing the oil dip stick. If this does not happen to your car it is unlikely the PCV. If you need to replace the MAF sensor, you need to get a BOSCH. I will tell you that they are interchangeable. All of the Bosch 0280218### and 0280217### use the same sensor element F00C2G2029 or equivalent. The only difference I have seen is the molded body that holds the sensor. I used a 2000 VW MAF BOSCH Sensor from Ebay. About $90.00. It works, but you have to cut about 1cm of the piece that connects to the MAF harness of your vehicle, and use some silicon glue around the edge to make a good tight fit. Its perfect.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fair enough. The car is a 2006, and I called the dealership, it applies for the service bulletin, but they think that a scanner is going to tell them that it is the PCV.. no it won't, it will say it is lean, which could be from any number of conditions. But the hard plastic line is busted and flopping to the side, so I am hoping they can clearly see oh yea we should take care of this without an issue.
I really don't want to replace the MAF, but 90 bucks isn't terrrible if we had to

·
Registered
8,355 Posts
Dude Isn't Volvo - Giving Free Scans - Their Reader will get to the Root Cause , according to Kyle and He's done 100's of these PVC the Code should be
ECM-250a - which is - Long Term Upper Limit !

ECM-0171 Long-term fuel trim, bank 1.Signal too high .
Where and what Equipment - did You read this with ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
auto zone pulled code 0171.
The PCV fix went ell, they clearly saw the broken hose and replaced it with no issues and no charge. CEL has gone away

But from my interpretation of the above post, that was the wrong code for the PCV being the issue?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Generic codes dont always cross over to the Volvo specific codes exactly, if the light has not returned after the 205 extended warranty was complete then you are likely fine. Like mentioned the ECM-250a is the main one to look out for and is listed in the bulletin. Your fuel trims will be effected by having that upper hose cracked thus why you will expect to see a fault code.

·
Registered
837 Posts
When my car gave that code it was dirty MAF, missing the screen before the MAF turbulent air getting to.the MAF from broken OEM intake box and really oily AIT sensor on the intercooler. I struggled for weeks figuring it out. When infixed all of those it went away. My vadis wasn't much help. Maybe not your problems but things to consider.

in my experience getting the dealer to fix the pcv was easy. If the line is broken or the motor is sucking air they'll replace it. Have to be firm. You can email Volvo directly with your vin and they will tell you definitively whether or not you qualify or if its.been done.

·
Registered
320 Posts
When my car gave that code it was dirty MAF, missing the screen before the MAF turbulent air getting to.the MAF from broken OEM intake box and really oily AIT sensor on the intercooler. I struggled for weeks figuring it out. When infixed all of those it went away. My vadis wasn't much help. Maybe not your problems but things to consider.

in my experience getting the dealer to fix the pcv was easy. If the line is broken or the motor is sucking air they'll replace it. Have to be firm. You can email Volvo directly with your vin and they will tell you definitively whether or not you qualify or if its.been done.
Would a aftermarket intake void this warranty service?

Do you have an email address which I could do thisat? thanks for your help!

·
Registered
837 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
FWIW, I had PO171 show up. First 2 items I read on an online checklist were...1. Is the oil fill cap tight. YES it was. 2. Is the oil dipstick pushed in tight? NO! It was somehow just sitting loose on the tube and not pushed in and sealed.

If I didn't experience it for myself, I wouldn't have believed it...pushed it in, cleared the CEL...and the CEL hasn't
come back in 3 weeks.

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts