SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Recently Volvo service replaced the ERAD on my 2016 XC90 T8. I would like to know the reliability of the new ERADs? Did any once replace the ERAD multiple times? Or anyone replaces ERAD on newer model XC90 T8s? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I've done a couple and my dealer has probably done 10. Haven't had one come back.
How many T8's were sold from your dealer? If it is so common, maybe every one will get replaced in 8 years?

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Not sure how many we sold. Also not sure if any of the ERAD repairs we did were from other dealers.

And to clarify, the ERAD is not always replaced. Often it is the transmission in the ERAD.

The ERAD is replaced for noise from the rear that increases with speed. The transmission in the ERAD is for customers who experience a hesitation when the ERAD should be engaged.

I'm not sure when the updated parts were installed from the factory to prevent these issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How is erad replacement ?? Drop rear subframe and take axels out throw new erad in replace subframe ?? 1-2 day job??
Mine is waiting on new erad 🙈🙈

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
How is erad replacement ?? Drop rear subframe and take axels out throw new erad in replace subframe ?? 1-2 day job??
Mine is waiting on new erad 🙈🙈
Most of the time, we replace the transmission in the ERAD. Takes about 4 hours. Less if replacing the whole ERAD assembly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just got car back ....so far so good🤞🏻Per tech line entire erad was replaced and also one of the Axels as it was siezed in the Erad and broke apart with the force required to pull it out ......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, Recently Volvo service replaced the ERAD on my 2016 XC90 T8. I would like to know the reliability of the new ERADs? Did any once replace the ERAD multiple times? Or anyone replaces ERAD on newer model XC90 T8s? Thanks.
ERAD replaced on my 2019 XC60 T8 within the first month of owning the car...Entire vehicle was replaced within 3 months. Replacement car has had zero issues (fingers crossed).

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just got car back ....so far so good🤞🏻Per tech line entire erad was replaced and also one of the Axels as it was siezed in the Erad and broke apart with the force required to pull it out ......
Yes wow. Again, mine seems normal and no errors, except I hear odd noise from erad when turning... Dealer opened tech case and now wants to do the repair Friday. Will report back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Most of the time, we replace the transmission in the ERAD. Takes about 4 hours. Less if replacing the whole ERAD assembly.
Hi, I was looking at buying a used T8 out of warranty but wanted to get it checked at the local Volvo dealer first. They found that the ERAD showed signs of leaking some trans fluid. Carfax led me to call a different dealer only to learn they had replaced the trans in the ERAD. It drove fine but should that leak stop me from buying it? The dealer said the only way to remove it was to drop the subframe but from what I've found, that's not true and it only takes a few hours as stated above. Is there any reason to drop the subframe?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Hi, I was looking at buying a used T8 out of warranty but wanted to get it checked at the local Volvo dealer first. They found that the ERAD showed signs of leaking some trans fluid. Carfax led me to call a different dealer only to learn they had replaced the trans in the ERAD. It drove fine but should that leak stop me from buying it? The dealer said the only way to remove it was to drop the subframe but from what I've found, that's not true and it only takes a few hours as stated above. Is there any reason to drop the subframe?

Thanks.
Risky... It may not leak right now but start leaking several years down the road. Do you know someone can fix it for an acceptable price? Those fluid probably is not serviceable other than get it replaced.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts

Thanks.
The rear subframe does need to be removed to fix it. I can't say if you should or shouldn't buy it- that's your call based on other information, like price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The rear subframe does need to be removed to fix it. I can't say if you should or shouldn't buy it- that's your call based on other information, like price.
Thank you for the quick reply. So it sounds like you are able to replace the ERAD in four hours even though you have to drop the subframe? Is it like most traditional subframes where the exhaust has to be removed and the rear suspension and brakes come down with it or is there a smaller removable section of the subframe? I'm just wondering how many hours of labor I'm in for if the leak is active and I have to change both of the formed housing gaskets.

BTW, it looks like only my ERAD transmission was replaced after the former owner complained of hesitation (according to the dealer) and I'm guessing they used this ERAD TSB to make that determination. Have you seen these come back after the transmission was replaced?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
This is what my erad sounded like 🙈
OMG how does that happen? Who was the supplier for this component? (Still the same supplier now?) So which repair service path did you get to enjoy?

A) "If the customer is driving in electric mode and experiences noise from the rear that increase with vehicle speed (that corresponds to the electrical motor speed) it is an electrical motor issue. In this case the complete ERAD is to be exchanged."
- or -
B) "If the customer experiences hesitation when the electrical motor should be engaged or no electrical motor engagement at all, the transmission part needs to be exchanged."

Looks like you might fit into another category:

C) "The customer experiences a loud, screeching noise while the vehicle isn't moving, resembling a cross between a vacuum cleaner and a Pink Panther movie."

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Yes, I can do the repair in 4 hours including subframe removal. The exhaust is removed and then the whole thing drops down with the brakes and suspension on it (except calipers).

Just because I can do it in 4 hours doesn't mean that's what the labor cost is. I think warranty pay is around 6 so retail would be closer to 10.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I can do the repair in 4 hours including subframe removal. The exhaust is removed and then the whole thing drops down with the brakes and suspension on it (except calipers).

Just because I can do it in 4 hours doesn't mean that's what the labor cost is. I think warranty pay is around 6 so retail would be closer to 10.
Yeah, I'm sure being trained and having done it before has helped make it a quick job for you. Good idea to pull the calipers so you don't have to bleed them. Let me know if you ever make a video on it!

Bill

1 - 20 of 24 Posts