SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer, i had an amp and new front speakers installed in my s60 (base sound system). I installed some Focal 5.25 inch speakers, and they were EXTREMELY aggressive in the mids and highs. Harsh, tinny etc.
I latter swapped them for some 6.5inch Jbls, which helped some. My equ in the last 3 bands is at -3, -5 , -2 to keep the music bearable. I have since installed the Focals in another car and they sound fantastic. Ive come to the conclusion that the stock HU, does some funky eq stuff in the midrange.

Has anyone successfully use a DSP, aftermarket eq, or etc to successfully integrate aftermarket speakers?

I know there are DSPs that can run pink noise and "flatten" the eq before it goes to an amp. The problem is most of them only accept speaker level inputs. I want something that will take RCA.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Last summer, i had an amp and new front speakers installed in my s60 (base sound system). I installed some Focal 5.25 inch speakers, and they were EXTREMELY aggressive in the mids and highs. Harsh, tinny etc.
I latter swapped them for some 6.5inch Jbls, which helped some. My equ in the last 3 bands is at -3, -5 , -2 to keep the music bearable. I have since installed the Focals in another car and they sound fantastic. Ive come to the conclusion that the stock HU, does some funky eq stuff in the midrange.

Has anyone successfully use a DSP, aftermarket eq, or etc to successfully integrate aftermarket speakers?

I know there are DSPs that can run pink noise and "flatten" the eq before it goes to an amp. The problem is most of them only accept speaker level inputs. I want something that will take RCA.
A few threads are on here that exist showing people using DSPs. Search krn's thread. He used an MS-8. mark-sf also has a really great thread on his subwoofer build and DSP. I thought about a DSP, but instead went with a bass processor in the rear combined with the amp for the subwoofer. You can see what I did in my thread.

I generally find it hard to find something accessible (i.e. inexpensive) that provides speaker level outputs that can tie back into the stock system post-amp.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts