SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4-2 Spring cleaning fever - decided to simple green the engine like I had done many itmes with various watercooled 80's and 90's VWs I've owned. Covered up the distributor and went to town....<P>Car started right up and ran fine around town but later that day I was headed out of town and stomped on it to get around highway traffic. Well it stumbled and sucked wind. It would not hit warp speed like normal. <P>Then check engine light came on and it was running rough. A quick call to my dealer and he said once I got where I was going I should remove the plug cover and look for water in the wells. BINGO....... ayup there was some water in 2 and 3. But with this blown out and dried off it still had this stumble. <P>It needed to go in for an oil change so I decided to have them do the 90K service a little early so we'de see what new plugs did for the problem.... <P>They said all was well when I picked it up but as soon as I got in and pushed recall button on the boost gauge I knew this was too good to be true. They had only hit 12 PSI. So I leave the lot and romp on it - right away the problem is still there. The thing was dumping boost over 12. As long as you kept the throttle at medium it ran fine but anything more was a bummer.<BR>4-19<BR>Took the car back and took the chief tech out for a fast ride at 12 psi max. He felt the stutter sensation and power loss/plateau<P>I gave the go ahead for cap/rotor and whatever else related to the misfire. Turns out the two week old plugs were ORANGE? They did compression check all are fine at 165-170 and so they put on new wires. The cleared the misfire codes and went back out. I checked recall today when I picked it up and they hit 19 on boost so it was a good romp.<P>everything seems back to normal. I learned my lesson about engine washing Volvos. A $285 lesson.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts