·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many vents does the R engine have?
Crank Case Ventilation?
Positive Crank Case Ventilation?
Any others?

I am going to install an oil catch tank to intercept and keep blow-by from recirculating into the intake system. At which vent is the best location to intercept the majority of the oil gunk that comes out of the engine?

If anyone can answer the above, what's the best hose size for this application? The majority of catch tank manufacturers offer either 9mm, 10mm, or 15mm. Does it even matter? Bigger the better?

This is a good addition especially for guys with FMICs & ECU upgrades.

Some reading material: Perrin (Features, Charts)

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Re: Engine Ventilation System & a need for Oil Catch Tanks (ArtVandelay0023)

Art, the one that I'm using is a Carbing 0.6 Lit Oil Catch Tank φ15 (206 015 0). I'll post the pics over the weekend.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Re: Engine Ventilation System & a need for Oil Catch Tanks (blot)

At what stage of the Modding Prosses would i need to install a catch can? I luld love to see the pics to Bolt.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts

Would it make sense to replace the stock oil trap with this one regardless of tuning? The stock trap costs an arm and a leg to service. This one can be drained. Probably would not pass visual emissions check in Cali in an under 50kmile car though.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Engine Ventilation System & a need for Oil Catch Tanks (Mika)

If by oil trap you mean the oil pan/sump then no. Catch tanks/cans are different things.

based on the concept I don't see any effects on emissions. the unburned gas is not released into the atmosphere. It is routed back into the intake as on the factory setup (just without the oil & dirt). Enjoy: ->

Carbing

Megan Racing

TurboXS

Perrin

GReddy

Cusco

Vision Technica

Modified by ArtVandelay0023 at 11:51 AM 3-16-2007

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Re: Engine Ventilation System & a need for Oil Catch Tanks (ArtVandelay0023)

I don't mean the sump. There's an oil trap in the crank case ventilation system, under the intake manifold. That's a part of the emissions system, and in CA, the emission components can only be replaced with original parts during the first 50kmiles. PCV is part of the visual smog check.

The original oil trap can has a tendency to clog in Volvos.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts

Blot, you provided an edit-link that opens only for you. I found the thread via search though:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/z...age=3

Neat stuff, never read that thread before.

I'm just curious, but is the setup of the catch tank specific to your configuration, or is the hookup similar in the stock R?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Re: Engine Ventilation System & a need for Oil Catch Tanks (XK120)

Provided we can find space in the engine bay. I wanted a bigger catch tank, but the carbing is the only one that can fit for my RH drive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts