SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm trying to put together a checklist of items to inspect while fall is still around.

VIDA has a blank page for the transmission/mounting, at least with my 2011 XC90 3.2L AWD.

Are there any other mountings for the engine/transmission other than the two torque rods, the two hydraulic looking mounts (FCP sells a Hutchinson kit), and the right-hand side "engine pad"?

Is there anything securing the transmission or angle gear to the front cross member?

Thanks!

-Ryan

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,297 Posts
The 5 are all the mounts.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks much!

-Ryan

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Is there a good test for the various mounts? Or should I suck it up and replace them all based on mileage? I'm planning on giving every thing as good an inspection as I can this weekend.

I'm pretty good at gauging motor mount health with the older cars. Everything is bigger and harder to "feel" for with the XC! Kinda fun. :)

Thanks!

-Ryan

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,297 Posts
You can feel when there is a complete failure of the mounts, but the best way is by mileage/age for the main three lower mounts. It's difficult to see if they are collapsed. Only when you remove them and put it side-by-side with the new mounts will you see the height difference. Collpased mounts leads to increased movement and rocking.

The lower torque mount you can visually see if there is any rubber left or you hear clicking upon on/off gas. The upper torque mount can be difficult to see or know, sometimes the rubber just gets soft over time, but visually looks fine.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

My engine is pretty "stiff" in the engine bay.... but I don't know what to expect with this engine. It's a much bigger mass than the B230's I'm used to.

I'll have to get eyes on the underside next time I'm under the car. Probably won't be for a week or two.

BTW, I discovered that there are 6 mounts for 2011-on.

-Front/rear hydraulic looking mouts
-Right hand mount on the block
-upper torque rod
-"Transmission" torque rod
-A right hand rear lower torque rod, which seems to be the one only for 2011-on.

-Ryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts