SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 80k mile 2006 S40 T5's radiator blew and my wife ended up with the warning in the title. She got the car home - about 1/2 a mile.

To her credit she looked for a leak (didn't see it because of the bottom engine cover), and googled it, where most people said the issue was a temperature sending unit. Well, that wasn't it. She got back in the car and drove about 1/2 a mile and then got the warning again, and shut it off. After letting it sit for a bit the car refused to start for her, thereby protecting itself. Hours later I noticed there was a leak, but I let it cool and drove it the 1/2 mile back home (probably not my smartest move, but that's water under the bridge).

In tearing the car apart we found where there is a large hole in the radiator - guess after 13 years and now Florida heat it just gave up (the system was well cared for with timely flushes and coolant changes). I'm redoing the entire cooling system (every hose, thermostat, fan, radiator, temperature sending unit).

Has anyone ever seen that light before and understands how the shut-down system works? I'm assuming the engine will survive this given the short distances and the fact that the engine has a shut-down mechanism that seems to be designed to protect itself. The oil looks fine (doesn't appear to be a head gasket issue - especially given the hole in the radiator). I guess I could compression check the engine if I want to be extra safe, but it sounded normal during the last 1/2 mile, nothing odd. I did the timing belt stuff about a year ago, but left the water pump alone as everyone says that thing is robust and rarely has issues.

Anyone have any thoughts?

On a side note . . . this was almost a trouble free car for the first 10 years we owned it. Since then there has been a lot of preventative maintenance, and recently some odd issues: hard start - fuel pump - but maybe also temperature sending unit, which is now getting replaced, the F35 fuse blow (from the oil filter heater shorting out) which was causing the AC issue, and now this. Hope I'm getting over the hump on this stuff and can get some rather trouble free miles for awhile . . . not a lot left to replace on the vehicle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ironically I also have the same S40 T5 2006 with 160k km on clock. I also had a similar reading once but prior to this warning light coming on the car started needing continuous water. This was concerning and initially after troubleshooting we found the water bottle cap was not sealing properly. Replacing the cap did not solve problem in its entirety and I had a pressure test done but that proved to be positive with no visible issues. Since then I flushed with coolant and it seems to be ok thus far but your radiator comment is something I must look into. Strange through if it is the radiator then clearly it should have shown as a leak which leads me to ask how did you discover the hole in the radiator? I need to find the problem and do not want to sit with a bigger problem later on. I do think the thermostat must be replaced soon though.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know how long this was going on . . . if it started as a pinhole, and then got worse. I think it blew all at once - it seems to have blown with such force that it hit the plastic electric fan and broke a piece of it off.

We found the hole after everything went down and I knew I would have to try and find the issue, so I pulled out the airbox, thus making the radiator partially visible. I tried presurrizing the system with air and it wouldn't pressurize at all, and I couldn't hear where the leak was . . . then my wife actually noticed the hole in the radiator.

Other posts I've read have said the temperature sending unit can cause issues even when there isn't an underlying issue with the system (engine actually cool) . . . I might check there if your system is currently holding water and appears to be remaining cool, though the indicator light is saying otherwise.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
One thing i would mention about the temp gauges/warning in this car, it is notorious for coming on late - much after it has been running hot for some time. I would recommend getting a obd dongle to monitor the actual temp in real time, could also check for any codes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replied to this post 2X last night and apparently neither posted . . .

1) Your temperature observation is concerning. Hopefully no permanent damage was done in my case. It's a shame we can't get into our PCM/ECM with something simple like HP Tuners and adjust those settings. Looks like I'll be getting an aux gauge pod for coolant temp and vacuum/boost shortly to compensate. Anyone have any thoughts on that happy to hear them.

2) Removing the radiator on this car was much harder than any radiator I've done (setting aside replacing the one hose, which is just ridiculous). If anyone has any good links or tips on reinstalling the radiator (while leaving the AC condenser in place) let me know . . . I don't see anything in stickies and didn't find anything after a brief search. My guess is most people, after doing it, just want to pretend it never happened.

3) Torque settings for the thermostat housing? I found 10NM - which is about 7 ft-lbs. Seems a little loose to me, any thoughts?

4) Anyone have a link / procedure for the best way to remove the headlight washing system (no wipers, just washer)? My wife just informed me hers has not been working properly for some time. Given this is another thing to go wrong (and given my location) I think it's time for it to go.

Thanks in advance for any help . . .

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Remove the front bumper, reach down and lift the fans up and off the radiator, disconnect them. Remove intercooler and undo the bottom metal support to the radiator like a half inch or inch on either side. Go onto the top and remove the 4 bolts that keep the plastic top cap on the plastic frame. Zip tie top of condensor to top body rail in car. Undo metal radiator support all the way, remove plastic radiator support and viola , its all out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not to cause panic but this was just my experience. Car had very slow leak that I didn’t know where it was coming from. Probably upper radiator hose as that thing sucks. Anyway, I think it finally gave way and leaked all coolant out. Got the message you got and kid drove it a little more until it quit and would not restart. Once I found leak and fixed car drove perfect, until it then blew the heater hoses. Replaced those and car still drove great but head gasket was clearly blown as had cloud of white smoke. Got head resurfaced and car was good again...for only 1000 miles. Something happened to the oil supply and cylinder one got gouges on the cams/journals. Possibly unrelated. Idk. Had to buy a new engine and finally got it back running again. Long story short....check your compression!!! Very smart to do an overhaul of the coolant system. Assuming you are including those heater hoses. Agree on water pump. If you come up with good way to prevent in the future via gauge or coolant level sensor (there’s a thread on the latter) let us know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts