SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are doing the Volvo OSD and now we are stuck here in Sogndal, Norway because of this problem. The car is brand new with only 25h 34min or 944mi of driving and this is already the second time this issue showed up. First one was in Oslo and we've only driven it for 3hr or so from the factory in Gothenburg. We had to go to a dealership which is not very hard to find but had to wait for 4.5hrs for it to be fixed.

We ended up missing one night of accomodation, we (technically it's just me, my wife is all cozied up in the seat) drove for 11hrs because one of the road to our destination is closed and we had to drive back and find another route. Made it to Averøy around 05:30, so literally I had to drive all night.

And now we're here, stuck in Songdal, second time this issue happened. Now it seems like it has a mind of it's own, it's revving even without me stepping on the accelerator. It's trying to speed up while braking and on park, accelerating by itself. A very dangerous thing for a car like this. I have a video of it doing that by the way. We're now doubting the safety of this car. Our XC90 s here in the shop in Songdal awaiting for the next step from Volvo.

I just wanna say that with all this bad luck there are a lot of people who helped us along the way, did the extra mile just to make sure we are taken care off. Thank you to the guys at BILIA Oslo, our awesome tow truck driver (sorry forgot to ask your name), Gertrude of Volvo Norway roadside assistance & Erik of Frydenbø, Sogndal. If you guys ever get stuck here in Sogndal with your new Volvo, look for him. He's absolutely amazing! Oh thank you car for not acting up while we're on the mountains and very far from any help. ;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm just wondering if anyone had the same issue? This feels to me a safety concern especially since that it's the gas pedal that's having this issue. We had to pull over on the side of the road because somehow it feels like the brake would give out any moment and we'll slam on the car in front of us, it's revving as if it's in the starting line of a race.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Nothing. I'm sure the Volvo techs will be more of an authority than me, but this could be related to the whole "throttle by wire". I suspect some bad signals are being sent to the throttle body, which is only doing what it's told.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's true, except it happened while we were driving and had to step on the brakes right away. The car is very new and we sent it in the shop twice already within 5days, first was something to do with the transmission and now the initial diagnosis is there's something wrong with the brake and gas pedal or what's connected to it. We're just disappointed with all that is happening, I'm assuming we're the only ones to have a very bad experience with this new car. All I read online was regarding software issues and A/C.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Wow, that is scary to have it gun the throttle while you are driving and attempt to do so even with the brake on.

This is the first I have seen anyone report an issue like that, to answer your question. I can't imagine if this happened to anyone else here they wouldn't have mentioned it given how serious it is. I would have put that in your headline, BTW. Reduced performance sounds like it's going to be another post about the V4 lack of power or gas mileage. As opposed to "XC90 is throttling the accelerator all on its own" Yikes!

The closest I have experienced in terms of bad "by wire" behavior from the car is I had the engine die once while I was in motion -- fortunately just in my driveway -- and then all gears acted like neutral and the parking brake didn't work. Every gear acted like neutral and just allowed the car to free roll, including reserve and parking gears. The only thing that worked was the foot brake. Once I turned the car off and on again everything worked fine. This has only happened once (so far) and I did report it here.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Sorry you are having the problem, and its the first I've read of this problem. Its probably a small detail somewhere and may be corrected by someone, just disturbing underneath the hood, without even realizing what "correction" was made. This would be most unfortunate ... to lose that chance to find something that may need to be corrected back in the manufacturing process. Since it seems to be a "one off", I'm going to suggest it is NOT the power train control computer or the throttle control module ... these are from highly developed processes, and if there was a manufacturing issue, it would be evidenced in high numbers. The electrical harness, however, is another issue. Much of the manufacturing of the harnesses is still, today, cottage-industry ... and the installation on the assembly line can be even worse. So, I'm obviously guessing its the engine/power train harness ... and it could be some connector not fully secure. It would be interesting to have someone open all power train and transmission harness connections, inspecting for debris inside and making sure all pins and receptacles are sound ... taking digital images of any suspicious looking things. Good Luck!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
@govolvo - That´s what my wife actually wants! She just wanted to return the car back, not sure if they´ll take it though. I´ve checked if there is a lemon law here in Sweden and looks like there´s none, but I´m pretty sure it won´t qualify as one even if there´s an existing law like that here but we are considering that option for sure.

@citivas - It was scary considering we drove through mountains very far from any assistance with spotty phone signal, not to mention I was driving when it happened so that´s why my wife and I considered it as a safety hazard. I have no control whatsoever with the throttle and to make matter worse it´s very hard to find the "right" person to call at the roadside assistance booklet FDC gave us. When I say hard... it´s goddamn stupidly hard! We were just lucky to get Gertrude on the line, she saved us a lot of grief!

You´re right I should probably change the headline but not sure how.

@12once - When they first checked the car, they said the problem is with the wiring on the transmission. It´s not connected properly. So they fixed that, updated the software, test drove the car and told us to go on our merry ways but after 4 days of driving the car probably had enough of us and decided the she can drive herself (she, because I´m thinking of naming her a she. HA!)

UPDATE: We are still doing our road trip which is part of our 14 day vacation (both of us trying to stay positive :) ) and Volvo paid for our hotel stay in Sogndal (THANK GOODNESS!), gave us a rental car and told us to leave our car in the shop there. Everything sounds good so far except we had to pay for the car being dropped off to a different location because we have other reservations and won´t be coming back to Sogndal any time soon. They said that´s the maximum coverage they gave us on our euro car insurance so hopefully they´ll be willing to reimburse us for that. We will be hearing from them this Monday since almost every office here in Norway and Sweden is close on the weekend. We are expecting the worst so will give you guys an update.

Here´s the video of it:

The video doesn´t look convincing enough that it´s dangerous but keep in mind I already had the car parked and both the tow truck driver and the Erik said that it´s not a good idea to drive it because we might not make it very far - it´s a nice way of telling us we might get killed without the fear of a lawsuit. The car even got a lot of chuckles from the people who asked the tow truck driver what happened, maybe it´s because they think it´s silly for a brand new Volvo to get towed because it wants to drive itself.

Thanks for the response guys we appreciate it. Hopefully when people would read this it´ll give them a heads up if they decided to buy one and/or do the OSD program. I also hope someone from the higher up of Volvo corporate sees this and help us alleviate the inconvenience this did to our "honeymoon"!!! VOLVO PLEASE HELP US!!! ;)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Well, we all know Volvo is eager to get their Autonomous Driving Vehicles on the road .... you obviously have one of the first! It'll be all the rage one day! (HaHa!)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Oh the 'engine system reduced performance' is literally the message you got on the driver display. Makes sense now!

You guys have a very good attitude! Sorry to hear about the issue. It's definitely a big concern.

Please keep us posted and enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I feel so bad for you, I'm really sorry! It sounds like an issue with the throttle, pedal or internal module. Sometimes it could be something as simple as a loose ground wire. I hope things work out for you.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
[email protected] - When they first checked the car, they said the problem is with the wiring on the transmission. It´s not connected properly. So they fixed that, updated the software, test drove the car and told us to go on our merry ways but after 4 days of driving the car probably had enough of us and decided the she can drive herself (she, because I´m thinking of naming her a she. HA!).....
This makes me even more suspicious of the harness itself, not the "installation" as surely these guys checked all connections while they were at it. It could be your harness is a "engineering" unit that was intended to find its way to the recycle bin. Of course, I'll just wildly guessing away for my own amusement and am probably way off the mark. But I would wager that it is a simple fix in the end.
I hope your trip is still great for you and that Volvo treats you well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I hope they really make this right for you guys. More so I'm glad that you guys are safe! I appreciate your sense of humor and I can tell you are looking for the right attitude to salvage your vacation from this very regrettable circumstance.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So we got to talk to FDC yesterday and we are now coordinating everything to 3 different groups; the shop where we left that car, the insurance company who handles OSD and FDC. This was the email we got from FDC:

"Hi,

We spoke earlier on the phone.
I have talked to our Director for Customer Service & Logistics, and he has talked to SOS in Norway.
They will contact you very soon to assist you and give you all the information you need regarding the procedure.
The car will be repaired and picked up by a driver and left here at the FDC and shipped to the US. So you do not have to worry about that.

I am truly sorry about everything that you have to go through, and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you."

So there's that, one less problem to worry about. We're still planning to go the factory to talk to someone regarding our experience and to get more information. It's very hard to know exactly what is going on since there's 3 groups that handle the issue. We wished Volvo would tell us to just call them and they'll take care of everything but so far we still need to call the dealership to know what is the problem. I hope they'd (Volvo) do that proactively but I guess since they don't deal with problems like this on a regular basis the options and solutions are very limited if you know what I mean.

We don't know what to say or do if we get the chance to talk to Volvo in person. Any advice? My wife wanted to just return the car she's not confident to bring the car back to the US, we don't wanna sound very demanding but at the same time we don't want to have to deal with major issues time and time and again on a brand new car. We need some input if you were in our place what would you tell Volvo?

·
Registered
580 Posts
We need some input if you were in our place what would you tell Volvo?
You said you were going back to the factory. If I were in your shoes and my wife would not be confident in the operational safety of the vehicle, I would request a meeting with some higher ups at Volvo HQ before leaving Sweden and ask that they replace the vehicle. Meanwhile I would brush up on lemon law for your home state.

I am truly sorry to hear about your experience. You guys are surprisingly calm about this, I know I wouldn't. IMO, Volvo owes you big time for the trouble. Surprisingly many glitches reported here on Swedespeed, I thought the new model was thoroughly tested before launch.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I would ask for a replacement or if they do not give one, not take delivery (is this possible for OSD?) for the following reasons:
1) This happened to you TWICE in a short amount of time...
2) It doesn't seem like they know what the exact issue is. First time you mentioned they said it was improperly wired transmission. Then the problem resurfaced.

I don't think it's a widespread problem, since no one else is reporting it. Seems like your car has a unique problem and I wouldn't feel comfortable with taking it.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
i would ask for a replacement, perhaps in a more reliable brand that they might suggest ...?? (Might as well have a chuckle while you're at it.)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
We'll try our best to laugh! Hahaha! I just hope that everything would turn out fine regardless if they allowed us to get a new car or not, we just wanted a car that is free from major issues (well at least for the first 3yrs), the phone calls we did will be reimbursed, we'll be compensated for the time that was wasted on our vacation (we're not asking or excpecting too much, we've set our standards low for Volvo. Haha!) and most of all a full overhaul of their OSD program, I think they've had a great run so far and they've forgotten that sometimes things will not turn out as everyone expected, meaning accidents, car breakdown and stuff like that that they seem to have overlooked now considering they're planning to release a lot of newer cars based on the SPA platform.

We're hoping we will be that first and only people to do OSD and have a problem like this.

Thanks guys for the replies, we'll be giving you updates after our appointment on Thursday. If only Volvo's support system iis like what we got from the members of this forum we'd probably jumping for joy for having two major car issue. Hahaha!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts