SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 V70R with a bad 2.3 turbo engine. I also have a 1998 V70 2.4 non turbo engine with low miles (75,000). My question....is it possible to swap the 2.3 with the 2.4 and put all the necessary 2.3 parts.... turbo, etc on the 2.4 and be compatible? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Please excuse my ignorance, I am not a mechanic. I'm guessing with the higher compression pistons I could not install the turbo? Could the 2.4 non turbo be used in the R as it is with no turbo? I'm just trying to get this car usable again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What is wrong with the original engine?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Even if you ignored the fact that you might melt pistons it won't work.
The 2.4 doesn't have the hole in the block for the turbo oil return pipe nor does it have the port in the block for the turbo oil feed.

·
Registered
2009 XC90 D5 185 R-Design, winter, summer, comms and family packs
142 Posts
It wouldn't be a straight swap. It could be done, but will require a boatload of work to make it funcrion with the turbo etc, and then another boatload ro make it driveable and reliable. Unless you're a slilled mechanic and machinist yourself (and I'm guessing you're not else you would be asking) you'll have to pay someone some serious folding to make the mods, including alterations to the block for oil supply, forged (or at least suitable) pistons and rods, mods to accommodate missing sensors, alterations to the map...

Alternatively, you could fit the NA engine and drive it about without a turbo, but who in their right mind would want to?

Reactions: jmschmidt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could the 2.4 be installed the way it is w/o the turbo and make the car functional again. Turbo would be nice but not necessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Even if you ignored the fact that you might melt pistons it won't work.
The 2.4 doesn't have the hole in the block for the turbo oil return pipe nor does it have the port in the block for the turbo oil feed.
Thank you that’s the kind of info I’m looking for! Wanted to know if it was possible w/o to much hassle. Evidently not! 👍🏼

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It wouldn't be a straight swap. It could be done, but will require a boatload of work to make it funcrion with the turbo etc, and then another boatload ro make it driveable and reliable. Unless you're a slilled mechanic and machinist yourself (and I'm guessing you're not else you would be asking) you'll have to pay someone some serious folding to make the mods, including alterations to the block for oil supply, forged (or at least suitable) pistons and rods, mods to accommodate missing sensors, alterations to the map...

Alternatively, you could fit the NA engine and drive it about without a turbo, but who in their right mind would want to?
Gotcha! You’re right! Love the turbo but am just trying to make a usable car again. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts