SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a new engine put in my v70, no problem with the clutch before the job. No slip before the swap but not full power due to missed cylinder. Am I missing something? 95 k mikes on the old clutch. If I go for an 850 r clutch and single mass flywheel do I need any new slave parts?
99 v70 factory m56 so dual mass.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
The external and internal slaves are interchangeable. You can use either one. If you're taking it apart I would definitely buy a new slave cylinder, just to guarantee you don't have to take it back apart. I converted my 04 C70 to single mass with an 850R clutch and the internal slave works perfect.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The external and internal slaves are interchangeable. You can use either one. If you're taking it apart I would definitely buy a new slave cylinder, just to guarantee you don't have to take it back apart. I converted my 04 C70 to single mass with an 850R clutch and the internal slave works perfect.
Lloyd, thanks for the advice. It's hard to tell which used single mass flywheel to get. I know its the one with the notches. Thinking of this one off ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121686160172

A quick machine and ready to go?

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
That's not a flywheel, that's a flex plate for an automatic torque converter. Idiots using the word flywheel in their description are trying to rip you off. The clues are how thin it is in the middle, and the 6 welds holding the ring gear on. A flywheel has a separate ring gear but you can't see any welds.

You can also use a flywheel with holes around the perimeter, from an earlier 850, but you have to swap the wires on your crank position sensor.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's not a flywheel, that's a flex plate for an automatic torque converter. Idiots using the word flywheel in their description are trying to rip you off. The clues are how thin it is in the middle, and the 6 welds holding the ring gear on. A flywheel has a separate ring gear but you can't see any welds.

You can also use a flywheel with holes around the perimeter, from an earlier 850, but you have to swap the wires on your crank position sensor.
Yeah, that's embarrassing..
They all didn't look right, especially the welds and the single mass seem kind of hard to find. Volvo and Saab dismantlers are out of stock. I may just stick with the resurfaced dual mass and get the spec clutch

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Strandberg is reputable but your can't use the torque converter as a flywheel.

You can use a flywheel from a manual NA rather than turbo car if you like. Whatever you do, be sure to get that flywheel balanced and resurfaced.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
I've ordered from strandberg, they're a reputable yard. But yeah make sure they know you're talking about a manual transmission flywheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts