SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I am currently working on replacing my timing belt and wanted to double check my engine support methods. I cut a 2X6 the length of the oil pan and placed it on a hydraulic jack, i then raised the jack just a fraction of an inch until the engine mount lifted off of the place where it is bolted to. Here are some pictures. Ignore the jack stand it is doing nothing, the 2x6 cross on the floor is my emergency option if the jack starts to go down. My biggest fear is since only the front of the car is lifted the engine will fall backwards. Does this look ok to you experienced professionals?

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
People lift the engine this way all the time. I'm not saying it's safe or set up right, but you shouldn't risk damage to the pan...

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
I can't see the pictures, but the engine won't fall backwards, if anything it'll fall forwards because of gravity if you knock the stands away. Don't jack the car so high either, lift it enough to put the jack and 2x4 pieces underneath. There is another mount under the battery so you should be okay.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Erm, those oil pans are REALLY sensitive on those 5 cylinders. On top of that, the rubber engine mounts aren't made to LIFT the weight of a car but to carry the weight of the engine and gearbox. So it is more likely to tear the rubber engine mounts.

With your "axle stands" do it a little easier. If you look at your front axle, you'll see the two "verticle" black piping, which connects the lower frame to the upper bodywork. Kind of like the shape of a " 1 ". See this picture:

The arms which raise upwards. Put the jacks/stands under those. This is the most rigid part of the front, capable of carring the entire weight of the front. Safest way around it and you aren't in the near of your cambelt...

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Hello.

I am currently working on replacing my timing belt and wanted to double check my engine support methods. I cut a 2X6 the length of the oil pan and placed it on a hydraulic jack, i then raised the jack just a fraction of an inch until the engine mount lifted off of the place where it is bolted to. Here are some pictures. Ignore the jack stand it is doing nothing, the 2x6 cross on the floor is my emergency option if the jack starts to go down. My biggest fear is since only the front of the car is lifted the engine will fall backwards. Does this look ok to you experienced professionals?
Maybe it's too late but why didn't you lift the whole car?It would have been easier and more stable. You don't even have something to stop the car from rolling behind. Hopefully it's not a FWD or all you have holding it from rolling is the hand brake and that's not so good...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hahaha ok these pictures are pretty bad i apologize, I did jack the car up and place jackstands under the subframe as you normally would when changing brakes or anything else, the jack in the picture is only holding the engine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts