SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine splash shield on the undercarriage was a mess, wrong bolts, had split here and there, etc. My mechanic (non Volvo shop) threw it away.
What do you all think, is it important to have it? I can get a replacement fairly cheap looks like

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would replace it. The AC Compressor hangs down kinda low.

Mine was cracked too. I replaced it with one of the steel plates from IPD. A bit of a PIA to get the front bolts in place (Probably would be easier with a very long socket extenstion) but it's in place and I'm happy with it. Also you don't have to remove it to change the oil

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
+1, replace it. Keeps things so much nicer. Even the plastic one gives a fair amount of protection.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Get an OEM aluminum version....simply amazing.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Get an OEM aluminum version....simply amazing.
This, get a real Volvo aluminum skid plate. Offers real protection.
The iPd plate is also good, but doesn't cover the belts.

As for urgency, where are you located and how low are you?

I have owned 2 S40s that originated in the Southern State and examined many other P1s. Neither of my S40s had the splash shields and it was rare on any of the cars I looked at. As a matter of fact, they both had plugs where the splash shield bolts would go. So apparently it was just an options that Volvo decided to put on cars that are more likely to see snow.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I don't know ... mine was shipped here, bought here, and lived here until I bought it last year and it had the plastic skid plate. The ways it mounts is pretty flimsy though, rubber/plastic (?) mounts with torx screws ... not as solid as my P2's with 12mm bolts.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
I don't know ... mine was shipped here, bought here, and lived here until I bought it last year and it had the plastic skid plate. The ways it mounts is pretty flimsy though, rubber/plastic (?) mounts with torx screws ... not as solid as my P2's with 12mm bolts.
Weird! Maybe Volvo just didn't like the cars that they sold me...
I wasn't even aware of the plastic splash shield until just a few years ago.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I swear sometimes someone was asleep on the job when mine was built. :p Had a defective hub in 5K miles, completely drove the DTSC & ABS equipment nuts. Quickly fixed by Volvo but, yikes. There's also an amusingly small uneven curve in one of my rear fenders where it meets with the bumper. Little quirks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I swear sometimes someone was asleep on the job when mine was built. :p Had a defective hub in 5K miles, completely drove the DTSC & ABS equipment nuts. Quickly fixed by Volvo but, yikes. There's also an amusingly small uneven curve in one of my rear fenders where it meets with the bumper. Little quirks.
Monday or Friday car? ;)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
haha^ :beer:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Feels a bit like that yeah. Not completely. But definitely some tiny things that look overlooked.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Just curious - has anyone gotten fed up with taking the cover off over-and-over-and-over again and just cut an access panel into the shield for the drain plug? So I may or may not have just done that :p, but perhaps I should have done it a long time ago;) :beer:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Just curious - has anyone gotten fed up with taking the cover off over-and-over-and-over again and just cut an access panel into the shield for the drain plug? So I may or may not have just done that :p, but perhaps I should have done it a long time ago;) :beer:
Nope, it isn't that big a deal....and I'm changing oil @ 5k anyway. I'll take the added protection and I always use oil changes as a chance to inspect for other damage/issues...

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Is that the plastic cover? That aluminum skid plate that I have, and the iPd plate, have a small opening for oil draining already.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Yep, the plastic (OEM) cover. I cut about a 3 x 6" hole, starting at the drain plug and going back towards the car to allow the oil to clear when draining. A couple things that inspired me / always annoyed me about the shield - 1) no access / access door to the drain plug (my subaru outback, by example, had such an access hole for the drain plug and a removable panel for the filter) 2) the ipd shield has said access hole.

To be honest, I was always pissed I had to take the shield off to do routine maintenance (obviously so is everyone else, that's why all the fassenors are always missing) and I'm surprised this idea came to me so late in my p1 ownership

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
i did the oem plastic cover cutout at the same time as putting in a fumoto valve. oil changes are now nice and clean and convenient. the fumoto valves saves time not needing to find drain plug washers and torque wrench.

Yep, the plastic (OEM) cover. I cut about a 3 x 6" hole, starting at the drain plug and going back towards the car to allow the oil to clear when draining. A couple things that inspired me / always annoyed me about the shield - 1) no access / access door to the drain plug (my subaru outback, by example, had such an access hole for the drain plug and a removable panel for the filter) 2) the ipd shield has said access hole.

To be honest, I was always pissed I had to take the shield off to do routine maintenance (obviously so is everyone else, that's why all the fassenors are always missing) and I'm surprised this idea came to me so late in my p1 ownership

·
Registered
199 Posts
i did the oem plastic cover cutout at the same time as putting in a fumoto valve. oil changes are now nice and clean and convenient. the fumoto valves saves time not needing to find drain plug washers and torque wrench.
Fumoto- effing brilliant. Never heard of this before now....that will be useful for more than just my car!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts