SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I haven't pulled the codes yet on my car cause the laptop for the code reader is in use, but my car was running fine last night.

Car sat overnight and there was a light rain [don't think it's a factor, but you never know].

Cleaned the MAF Monday night. That's the only thing I've done to the car recently besides running it and washing it, so no recent mods to cause problems that I'm aware of. I also don't romp or abuse my car as it's my DD, so no racing or excessive speeding to speak of.

Car does not physically sound "off" in any way, and it's not sputtering. However, my car had been doing the odd drop-rpms-alot-when-coming-to-a-stop thing. I figured my MAF sensor may have gotten some K&N oil or something on it so I cleaned it.

So yeah, when I started the car this morning the yellow indicator was on and the "engine perf. reduced" msg was on. I jumped in the spare car and figured I'd diagnose when I got back from teaching. Now when I crank the car the DIM reads "engine service required" and the CEL is on. [Thankfully, this is my first CEL in my one year of ownership ;)] I went behind the car to sniff the exhaust to see if it smelled different and when I held my hand in the stream it was getting wet. It didn't smell strongly of gasoline...almost like water and gas mixed. There were also little black smudges flying with it. Only when my hand dried off a bit did it start to smell like gas a bit, but still not like straight gasoline does...

Charge pipe is nice and tight, so I know it's not that. Coolant level is within normal range [smack in the middle of hot/cold]. I'll check the oil level, but I don't think that would cause what it's doing now...

I know you guys don't have much to go on until I pull the codes, but any ideas towards the potential culprits would be appreciated :D

Update: got a splattering from the tailpipe onto some printer paper just so you all can see. It's definitely a mix of stuff...hopefully not coolant. Maybe a flooded cylinder?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Drive the car for a little bit, keeping an eye on the temp. Make sure you don't start to overheat.

After the car is warmed up sufficiently, then check to see if you're still spraying crap from the pipe. My suspicion is it's just condensation on the paper.

·
Registered
859 Posts
In agreement with the others. Once you start the vehicle up, you'll develop condensation that will come out the tail pipe until the exhaust is warmed up enough that it will evaporate the moisture and expel it as vapor.
Your check engine light just needs to be read and then provide us the code and we'll be able to help a little better. It can be read for free at most parts stores.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't want to drive it around until I get the codes, just so I don't potentially exacerbate the problem. Hopefully within the next half hour I can get this read.

And it was a lot of liquid coming out of the tailpipe, and it continued to come out, so much that it left a spray pattern on the driveway. Again, maybe I just don't notice this cause I always jump in the car and drive off ;)

Thanks for the help so far all!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. Pulled the codes.

P2135
P0221

Both were throttle/pedal position sensors concerning circuit range according to OBDCOM, but hopefully you guys can illuminate a bit with VIDA/DICE/Whatever

When we cleared the codes the car instantly seemed to run better. Perhaps the sensors had gotten a bit damp? Are these tied to my ETM and/or my rpm issue when coming to a stop?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and, rmorse, we could just swapparoo when we do the fmic anyways :D

I have a spare intake manifold I'm going to polish that was going to go in anyways...

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Sweet, that works!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, does anyone know if this thing would need to be reprogrammed if I replace it??

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, so things have been 50/50 on the car the past few days.

Today I took her out for a good 20 minute drive out to Leesburg and back. Upon start up, it had the "eng perf reduced" message again, but when I put it in reverse after about 20 secs of sitting, the message cleared and the car was normal. Same with the drive back. Things were looking up.

Then later in the afternoon I was heading out to do some shopping and the engine was going bonkers, completely rough and out of sync or misfiring on a cylinder or something. The whole engine bay was shuddering...but no codes or messages of any kind.

Because of the noise I can't be 100% sure, but I was poking my head around the engine bay while it was bucking to try to hear anything, and I may have heard a hissing noise, but I couldn't identify where it was coming from or if it was just latent noise with everything going crappy on me. I heard it mostly right next to the tcv in the little "cubby hole" next to the airbox.

I'm really really confused and kind of worried. What could this be that pops up so suddenly like this??

Someone please shed some light on this! I don't want to swap the ETA or throttle position sensor only to have this happen again. Will try her out in the morning when I go to teach and we'll see how it goes from there. I'd rather not put her in the shop [though I do need a four wheel alignment and tire rotation ;)]

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Not sure man, but the pipe the comes to mind most where you think you heard that noise is the Throttle Inlet Tube - according to iPd, it’s common for them to develop cracks at the integrated bellows due to engine vibration and movement and can allow contaminants to enter the engine as well as causing significant variation in the fuel mixture.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmm...if this is the case, sounds like all the more reason to upgrade the entire post-turbo side of the intake...

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
No re-program on ETA's. They are just a motor and position sensors. You install and turn on ignition and wait for 45 or so seconds until the ECM does a cycle test where it grabs MIN and MAX values from pots.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Ok. Pulled the codes.

P2135
P0221

Both were throttle/pedal position sensors concerning circuit range according to OBDCOM, but hopefully you guys can illuminate a bit with VIDA/DICE/Whatever

When we cleared the codes the car instantly seemed to run better. Perhaps the sensors had gotten a bit damp? Are these tied to my ETM and/or my rpm issue when coming to a stop?
In VIDA both of the codes point to a faulty throttle position sensor. Actually one of the codes is from the ECU saying that its registering a fault in the throttle position sensor. That being said, both faults are for a signal fault from the TPS. VIDA says to the check the wiring and also check the TPS which there is a routine for. My guess is your throttle body is dirty and or the throttle position sensor is toast.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I'm with 850 on this one, Phil. Try cleaning the throttle body....it's super easy to do and takes like an hour MAX.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can do. Anyone got a thread how-to handy?

Also, my car now refuses to act up. Must've known I was getting wise to her ways. :D

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So...I hit a big bump coming out of a shopping center today and it caused the car to do it again. Yellow triangle, eng perf reduced msg, and the car started jerking like crazy from under the hood and the gas pedal did nothing. Thankfully was near a parking lot and coasted into a slot, popped the good but couldn't reach/grab anything cause of the heat. However, I jostled the front end of the car a few times, started her back up and she was fine, no warning lights. Definitely am thinking that a wire has worked it's way loose [or some electrical connection is loose anyways]. Will try to get on it tomorrow morning.

Looks like I will only need to mess with the charge pipe to reach under there and feel around. Fingers crossed. Any advice you guys have that I should know??

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
So...I hit a big bump coming out of a shopping center today and it caused the car to do it again. Yellow triangle, eng perf reduced msg, and the car started jerking like crazy from under the hood and the gas pedal did nothing. Thankfully was near a parking lot and coasted into a slot, popped the good but couldn't reach/grab anything cause of the heat. However, I jostled the front end of the car a few times, started her back up and she was fine, no warning lights. Definitely am thinking that a wire has worked it's way loose [or some electrical connection is loose anyways]. Will try to get on it tomorrow morning.

Looks like I will only need to mess with the charge pipe to reach under there and feel around. Fingers crossed. Any advice you guys have that I should know??
Yea, if you think it's a wire, feel around where the code is telling you too....check the TPS.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts