SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, first off, thanks for clicking :thumbup:

Recently my '04 2.5T's engine blew :(. I'm looking at replacements and will be DIY'ing. Engine is already out of the car, in fact.

My question is:
Should I slap in a 2.5t or a T5 engine. Obviously the stock engine is 2.5t, but as I'm seeing the price points for both engines are around the same, I'd like to upgrade if possible.
I know the architecture is almost identical and should just slip in, but I'm not sure If I could just slap in a T5 ECU along with the engine and call it a day?

Every time this is brought up people are always like "just buy a T5 or an R," I'm aware of these cars and can't afford to buy them at the moment. Otherwise, I'd already have one :p. Please realize my engine is already blown and I'm at a speculative stage. I'm a mechanic (not a Volvo Tech lol) and will be doing the work myself/with a friend or two. I have access to any and all tools.
Also planning to maybe do a manual conversion, given the right circumstances/budget.

What I really need to know:
Simply, can I put a T5 engine and ECU in successfully?
Can you point me in the direction of someone who's done it?
Do you have a good source for an ECU and Engine?
Do you know of anyone/a wholesaler selling a transmission kit?- clutch master cylinder, clutch pedal, transmission, bracket, links etc.
If you're gonna say "it can't be done," can you explain why?

I'm in the Jersey Area and would also love to know if anyone knew of a good pick and pull around here? I know there's a few in PA, but can anyone recommend something?

I appreciate your time everybody, thanks for reading, and thank you in advance. :) Rock on Volbros

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
You cannot swap ECUs without a whole bunch of other modules as well, they're VIN locked and immobilizer locked. It is very easy to tune your current ecu for the beefier motor and turbo, it just adds a little more cost. If you keep the same smaller turbo on the engine you will have no problems with the T5 engine. If you do the larger turbo with the T5 motor you should get a tune. It will start and run just fine but the characteristics of the low pressure turbo ECU can allow the beefier turbo to make too much boost at low RPM which will bend the rods.

Keep in mind that this is speculation based on others' experience, and it's usually guys putting on a REALLY big turbo and then being too eager to feel it before properly tuning it. That's how rods get bent. That and one too many detonation events during tuning itself, but the pro tuners don't do that.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You cannot swap ECUs without a whole bunch of other modules as well, they're VIN locked and immobilizer locked. It is very easy to tune your current ecu for the beefier motor and turbo, it just adds a little more cost. If you keep the same smaller turbo on the engine you will have no problems with the T5 engine. If you do the larger turbo with the T5 motor you should get a tune. It will start and run just fine but the characteristics of the low pressure turbo ECU can allow the beefier turbo to make too much boost at low RPM which will bend the rods.

Keep in mind that this is speculation based on others' experience, and it's usually guys putting on a REALLY big turbo and then being too eager to feel it before properly tuning it. That's how rods get bent. That and one too many detonation events during tuning itself, but the pro tuners don't do that.
Ok so you're saying that I can put in the T5 with no other work? Assuming I use my "stock" turbo from the 2.5t? Does it matter whether I use the 2.3 or 2.4 t5? What have other people done? When you say "it's very easy to tune your current ecu for the beefier motor and turbo" what do you mean? Who can do this? Or can I do it myself?
Sorry for the slew of questions, and thanks for the response haha
Essentially, I should be able to put in a T5 with the old turbo and call it a day? This almost seems too easy

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
T5 engine should be a direct swap. Your old engine and the T5 are essentially the same except for bore. If you get a 2005-2007 T5 complete engine, it has a k24 turbo. You would be fine with your stock tune but a Hilton Tune will unleash the Ponies. You may have to have the tune specified for which injectors and mass air you are using. The T5 runs the Blue Injectors and a bosch mass air meter 0280218089. Same mass air as the R, just different injectors. You could upgrade injectors to R Greens and run a stage 2.5 tune. Thats what I'm running and very satisfied.

·
Registered
505 Posts
if you do this, i'd ditch your turbo and use a proper angle flange 16T and then tune.

The 14T with the 16T compressor is likely what put you in this situation to begin with. I don't recall seeing anywhere that you tuned for this but simply bolted on a hybrid.

01'+ 2.3 T5 with a 16T and a tune should net you around 260-270whp with other supporting mods. You'll need matched injectors to that turbo, blues at a minimum, but greens would allow for future upgrades.

I'm running green tops on an ARD billet 18T and have solid AFR's across the board at 18-20psi.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
T5 engine should be a direct swap. Your old engine and the T5 are essentially the same except for bore. If you get a 2005-2007 T5 complete engine, it has a k24 turbo. You would be fine with your stock tune but a Hilton Tune will unleash the Ponies. You may have to have the tune specified for which injectors and mass air you are using. The T5 runs the Blue Injectors and a bosch mass air meter 0280218089. Same mass air as the R, just different injectors. You could upgrade injectors to R Greens and run a stage 2.5 tune. Thats what I'm running and very satisfied.
if you do this, i'd ditch your turbo and use a proper angle flange 16T and then tune.

The 14T with the 16T compressor is likely what put you in this situation to begin with. I don't recall seeing anywhere that you tuned for this but simply bolted on a hybrid.

01'+ 2.3 T5 with a 16T and a tune should net you around 260-270whp with other supporting mods. You'll need matched injectors to that turbo, blues at a minimum, but greens would allow for future upgrades.

I'm running green tops on an ARD billet 18T and have solid AFR's across the board at 18-20psi.
Thanks to both of you, this was info I really needed :thumbup: One last quesiton... found a S60r engine, does the same concept apply?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The R engine would work as well. Be advised there have been more than a few cracked cylinder sleeves with the R block. Even at stock 14.7lbs guys are cracking sleeves every week. The 2.4L engine has a thicker cylinder sleeve than the 2.5L and most find it more robust when using heavy boost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts