SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a new engine instead of ripping it apart to find out it's the block anyways. So im getting a engine with 78k. I have many tools and crane in my garage above the pit. So is replacement going to be something I'm capable of doing and if so what's the procedure? Of course please and thank you

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Well it's an auto so that makes it easier. You can do it in a driveway. Disconnect the harness, manifolds, mounts, and sensors. Then disconnect the bellhousing, TC bolts (through the starter hole) and maneuver the engine out. Or you can drop the whole cradle...

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it's an auto so that makes it easier. You can do it in a driveway. Disconnect the harness, manifolds, mounts, and sensors. Then disconnect the bellhousing, TC bolts (through the starter hole) and maneuver the engine out. Or you can drop the whole cradle...
That's what I'm talking about.. Thank you brother

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I did mine in about 3 full days including refresh of the new to me engine. Now these days were way spread out as I'm mretty busy. But I just dropped the entire cradle out the bottom. Was pretty straight forward if your pretty familiar turning wrenches.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
here are some pics to give you an idea not advice....auto is my favorite ...this is real time now pulling t5 out of c70 which is tighter than s60...all alone cause i have no friends...lol

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here are some pics to give you an idea not advice....auto is my favorite ...this is real time now pulling t5 out of c70 which is tighter than s60...all alone cause i have no friends...lol

Doesn't look too bad thank you

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do I need to remove the transmission to get the engine out? Or can the transmission still be mounted in the bay and im able to get the engine to lift up from the top with crane?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
With the manual I can pull the whole motor, tranny and angle gear from the top, just have to be careful getting the tranny end around the master cylinder. Not sure if you can do the same with the auto though.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
In my case, there were two of us doing the job so at any time one was below guiding and bolting/unbolting while the other was up top driving/balancing the engine hoist and navigating the block down and around the master cylinder and fuse box. It can definitely be done by one person but having two was a solid advantage. We left the AG in though. I like a (relatively) clean engine bay so after quite a few leaks over the years, pulling the trans with the motor meant a chance to clean it off along with the subframe and without too much additional work.

OP, you've got options. Dougy pulled the AG and the motor but left the trans, I pulled the trans and motor but left the AG, and Tony pulled all three.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In my case, there were two of us doing the job so at any time one was below guiding and bolting/unbolting while the other was up top driving/balancing the engine hoist and navigating the block down and around the master cylinder and fuse box. It can definitely be done by one person but having two was a solid advantage. We left the AG in though. I like a (relatively) clean engine bay so after quite a few leaks over the years, pulling the trans with the motor meant a chance to clean it off along with the subframe and without too much additional work.

OP, you've got options. Dougy pulled the AG and the motor but left the trans, I pulled the trans and motor but left the AG, and Tony pulled all three.
I'll probably try pulling the motor and angle together leaving the transmission

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I'll probably try pulling the motor and angle together leaving the transmission
You can't. Angle gear is bolted to the transmission and it hides a few bellhousing bolts. Pull the angle gear then pull the engine.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I dropped everything out the bottom on the subframe. Trans, ag, motor, axles, control arms, etc... it came out easy and went in easy as well.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I dropped everything out the bottom on the subframe. Trans, ag, motor, axles, control arms, etc... it came out easy and went in easy as well.

Do you have a lift? Hoist the front end? Jack up the front end?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Nope just jack stands and a harbor freight shop crane. You have to get the front up really high to slide it out from under.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You are right I didn't want to drop the subframe and take the engine out from below because I would have to jack it really high up. So I'll do what's listed above pull angle gear, then pull engine

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just unbolted the carrier bearing and took the torque converter bolts out through the starter hole. By myself with a crane and jack stands. Left the turbo on and transmission bolted into place. Used a Robert diy video on YouTube as a guide. This was my first engine pull ever... So yeah you can do it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 76 Posts