SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the engine rebuild stage for a B20E in a 71 P1800E. I wanted to get a B20F head for port modifications but they seem to be somewhat scarce. If I have the engine over-bored .030 and use a little more aggressive cam am I going to waste the money/cause a burp until I can get a F head. I'm using Megasquirt for tuning. Is the E head worth having additional port modifications or just hardened seats, 3 angle grind, and simple cleanup. I would like to hit about 150 HP.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I have a 1971 142 E with rebuilt engine with 0.030 over pistons running Megasquirt. I stuck with the D cam because I wanted to retain urban driveability and am running the E head with only inserts, a 3 angle valve job and minor port clean-up. The one thing you should do is make sure that the block is decked to establish the correct quench bands which goes a long way to preventing detonation. You will find a discussion of quench and squish bands in the push rod performance forum.

Modifying the B20 for more hp is not cheap, particularly finding a competent race shop with experience in modifying the B20 head. The cheaper path to more hp is transplanting a more modern engine. The turbo engine out of the Nissan 240 SX has always looked like a good candidate to me; however, they seem to be in high demand.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts