SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in the market for a new engine in the coming months. anybody have info as to the newest engine that will drop into the 98 v70?

Brad

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
98, unless you want to do some major mods and part swaps
99 and newer (ME-7 engines) are very different.
It's been done of course but it's a royal PIA

·
Registered
20 Posts
You do have access to V70R engines, 850R/Turbo engines and X70 GLT engines all of which are nearly indentical in their outward appearance and part compatibility.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,440 Posts
The newer "RN" engines from 2000+ S60/V70s are a real option for you. They are widely available, reasonably priced, offer performance/efficiency advantages, and there is a growing knowledge base about how to install them in the <2000 cars. http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/152415-01-engine/page__pid__2077945#entry2077945http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/146623-the-unofficial-rn-block-swap-how-to/page__hl__turbo+parts+swap__fromsearch__1 http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/154256-rn-motor-install/

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
+1 to Mitch's statement about the RN engines. They are the way to go if you plan on further modifying the car after you swap the engine.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
The newer "RN" engines from 2000+ S60/V70s are a real option for you. They are widely available, reasonably priced, offer performance/efficiency advantages, and there is a growing knowledge base about how to install them in the 2000- cars.
He said INTO A 98... not a 2000. This is a very different engine and is problematic
Into a 2000 is easy

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Jim, swapping a newer motor is not as hard as it has been described in the past. There are a large number of cars on here and Volvospeed (probably MVS too) with RN engine swaps. It requires a few modifications to the longblock assembly, but it is far from impossible to do.

In short, to install a 99+ engine("RN") in a -98 car ("N") you need to drill the intake cam to accept the distributor plate and CPS, use the pre-98 intake manifold, change one engine mount to a newer style, and use the RN accessory bracket and alternator, ps pump, etc.

There are a few more steps, but that is the gist of things.

·
Registered
216 Posts
FWIW I put a GLT motor into my R, but used the turbo, the injectors and of course the ECU from the R motor. Car is now faster than stock. and it was all plug and play. Depends on how involved you want to get.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Jim, swapping a newer motor is not as hard as it has been described in the past. There are a large number of cars on here and Volvospeed (probably MVS too) with RN engine swaps. It requires a few modifications to the longblock assembly, but it is far from impossible to do.

In short, to install a 99+ engine("RN") in a -98 car ("N") you need to drill the intake cam to accept the distributor plate and CPS, use the pre-98 intake manifold, change one engine mount to a newer style, and use the RN accessory bracket and alternator, ps pump, etc.

There are a few more steps, but that is the gist of things.
I never said it was impossible but it IS hard, nothing fits
I worked on Adam's car over last winter, nothing latches up. You're dealing with a non CVVT engine vs a CVVT motorl ets
Sensors are all different. Accossories all bolt on differently, etc
Cam cover doesn't fit and more

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,440 Posts
He said INTO A 98... not a 2000. This is a very different engine and is problematic
Into a 2000 is easy
Could be into a 98, 97, 96, 95 . . . . all doable, with some mods, which are becoming well documented now. The o/p asked "what's the newest engine" that can be "dropped in". Maybe that meant plug-n-play, but he clearly wants to use newer components if possible, so given the options, he can figure out what direction he wants to take.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2.5t to 2.3t swap

So I need a motor and I was reading that I can use the 2.3t instead of the 2.5t, is that correct? Direct bolt on? I have a 2006 2.5t xc90 and I want to install a 2.3t from a 2002 s60, does anyone know if they will work? And I just have to get the ecu tuned right? Please help me with this. Thank you

·
Registered
17,317 Posts
So I need a motor and I was reading that I can use the 2.3t instead of the 2.5t, is that correct? Direct bolt on? I have a 2006 2.5t xc90 and I want to install a 2.3t from a 2002 s60, does anyone know if they will work? And I just have to get the ecu tuned right? Please help me with this. Thank you
"Work" yest but you'll always have a code for the missing intake vvt solenoid unless you swap the head.

You'd be better of to put in a 2005+ T5 2.4 B5244T5 or R 2.5 B5254T4. Those will be bolt ins and wire up's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts