SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 144 green book I see reference to two brackets that bolt to the block and provide lifting points front and rear for engine removal. The volvo part numbers are there, but I have not seen them for sale at any of the vintage volvo parts houses.

Does anyone know if these are still available from volvo or elsewhere?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I don't know about the OEM Volvo tool. I used one of these to pull the B20 out of my 142.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/powerfist-1-500-lb-engine-leveller/A-p1580009e

I removed the head first and then used bolts threaded into the head bolt holes to attach the leveller. In addition to providing access to the threaded holes for attaching the leveller, removing the head first makes the package a little smaller and lighter to pull out. I don't know what it is going to be like on an Amazon; but, removing the rad and front cowling on my 142 sure made removal a lot easier.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I managed to pull them without using head bolts. Just found a threaded hole a long bolt and a chain if I rember right.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Yeah I just run a bolt through a chain link anywhere. Usually a manifold bolt and one of the unused bolts on the front or driver's side. Just don't leave them loose, then it puts more bending load on them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
A leveler rig makes the job alot easier IMHO because you can adjust the tilt of the engine as you move out or back in. They are not that expensive. compared to scratched paint and banged up brake tubing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I've got a leveler, don't think I'd try an engine pull without it. In the past I've pulled the head and used the headbolts. Last time I used bolts in the unused holes designed for the puller brackets, but it was a stretch...the front hole is much higher, so the leveler starts out un-centered, limiting its travel. It also seems to get harder to turn as I get closer to the end of the thread.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
550 Posts
A leveler would be real nice expecially if you're pulling it with transmission. You have to pretty much to stand it on end.
I pulled the B18/M40 in one piece but put just the B20 in then wrestled the M41 in from underneath.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Yeah I have a leveler now for the first time in my life and I don't know how I did engine jobs without it. Just a cheapo one from harbor freight, it was like $30.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts