SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a nice deep purpleish blue and I can't seem to find it. I have a few pieces I am trying to clean up and paint and the blue I keep finding for engine paint looks totally wrong with the other blue in the car. Matching the Spark Plug Cover would be nice. Anyone suggest any?

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Re: Engine Paint (dave_n_ruth)

I used Dupla color engine anamle "Ford Dark Blue" right at the adavancenere our houses. IMO it looks even HOTTER then volvo blue. pluse you cant just rellie on the cap of the spray also. i taught i was not going to like the color bcause of the cap, but once i spared it with ford dark blue it was AMAZING!!!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Engine Paint (VolvokidS60R)

I noticed the cap does not match the actual color. I have been looking for DE 1606 or DH 1612. I thought the high heat one looked better, but putting parts in my oven for 3 hours at 300 degrees would probably make the wife a little mad. Not to mention your limited on what will fit. I got some 1601 Ford Blue, but it is way too light.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Re: Engine Paint (VolvokidS60R)

Quote, originally posted by VolvokidS60R »
I dont get pic here at work but i think my engie bay pic are in this thred
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=122850

What did you use for the black on the engine cover? And is that R white or did you mask it off and left it aluminum?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Re: Engine Paint (CM2RAS)

Quote, originally posted by CM2RAS »

What did you use for the black on the engine cover? And is that R white or did you mask it off and left it aluminum?

It was dupli-color low gloss engine enamel. The R was masked off so it's silver as before.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Engine Paint (xman03)

Got a couple cans of both blues on order. Hope I like at least one of them.

Blue FAIL! http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

Modified by dave_n_ruth at 4:16 PM 8-18-2009

·
Registered
906 Posts

smurfy! Mind listing the steps you took to paint the upper engine mount? I've never painted anything in the engine bay, so details are appreciated! I'm planning on painting mine as well. TIA

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Engine Paint (jdog)

Had JRL hunt me down a mount(Thanks again!) and used a dremel with wire brush to clean off all the corrosion. Cleaned off all the dust left behind with a can of air. Found the wrong color of blue to spray it. The DE 1601 Ford Blue is just ugly. Hope the DE 1606 or DH 1612 will be better. I will get them on Saturday. I have a few things to paint, but the problem with the DH1612 is you need to cure the ceramic in an oven for 3 hours at 300 degrees. It looks like the best blue though. I am going to do the same to the strut bar mounts, but I can't put them in an oven with that rubber inside.

Edit: Get an extra mount and then you can play with it. I would hate to have my car torn apart for days while I figure out the final scheme.

Modified by dave_n_ruth at 6:20 PM 8-18-2009

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Engine Paint (scootss60)

What paint and color is that?

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts

I like that cross strut bar painted because it is already painted very well in gloss so it will take paint easily.
That is probably all I will do and in orange but I really like that...Well done http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,248 Posts

like i said use duplica color ford dark blue, its allmost the same
ill look for ## later

·
Registered
587 Posts

dave - Rick Feist (Mash) did the work; it was custom-matched to Volvo corporate blue.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I can't say I love the scheme, but the job itself is beautifully done! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

I am thinking that there will be no color matching the silicone with cans of spray paint. That and there is already a few different color blues under the hood. I just want to clean up the corrosion on some of the parts, so I won't be painting everything under the hood.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I think this is much better!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

2nd picture looks good! Less "green" in the blue color when compared to the first blue (smurf) color. Does it look better in person, or does it match the pic pretty well, color-wise?

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Engine Paint (Short Circuit)

That was an outside picture, the sun seems to lighten the blue up a bit. It is a darker blue than it appeared. I took this pic in the kitchen as the other smurf blue was inside lighting as well. Edit: It started raining outside, that is water on it, not flaws in the paint.

Before:

After:

Modified by dave_n_ruth at 11:43 AM 8-27-2009

Modified by dave_n_ruth at 11:44 AM 8-27-2009

Modified by dave_n_ruth at 11:47 AM 8-27-2009

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Updated a few pics, I had hoped for a little better match on the blue, but I think it looks better than the corroded metal. My wife wanted me to paint them a silver or orange. Maybe I will try that one day.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts

Looks good to me, subtle yet effective.

Now clean your engine bay.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts