SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my car serviced at the Volvo Dealer. 2012 S60 T5. Oil level on dipstick shows over full. I brought my own oil to dealer (full synthetic 5W30 Mobil 1). Dealer said "bring 7 quarts as capacity is 6.1 quarts and we will give you back the remainder". Did not get remainder back, and when I checked dipstick after getting home, shows overfull. I suspect all 7 quarts were put in engine. Is this dangerous? If so, should I bring car back to dealer to have them drain off some? Expert answer is?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Could be dangerous, but probably not. I would still have them drain the excess oil if it were my car. Can you post a pic of the dipstick so we can see how much over it is?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had my car serviced at the Volvo Dealer. 2012 S60 T5. Oil level on dipstick shows over full. I brought my own oil to dealer (full synthetic 5W30 Mobil 1). Dealer said "bring 7 quarts as capacity is 6.1 quarts and we will give you back the remainder". Did not get remainder back, and when I checked dipstick after getting home, shows overfull. I suspect all 7 quarts were put in engine. Is this dangerous? If so, should I bring car back to dealer to have them drain off some? Expert answer is?
1/10th of a quart under is safer than 9/10s of a quart over. Next time, just take 6 quarts in. For some reason this is an ongoing problem at many dealerships. Don't ask me why.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
1/10th of a quart under is safer than 9/10s of a quart over. Next time, just take 6 quarts in. For some reason this is an ongoing problem at many dealerships. Don't ask me why.
+1
I don't know why it's such a mystery with these cars but it seems the dealers are sloppy about it.
I still have 1 more oil change on my S&S after which I will do my own. I will dump 6 quarts and check it after driving ad see where it settles. A little under is not a problem for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Really sucks that you can't relly on a dealership to fill the crankcase correctly.

Droped the XC60 off for its first service a few years ago and the dealer left the oil filter loose, or maybe pinched the o-ring, who knows.
All I know is that when I got home I had oil all over the driveway.

Next time in for service at the same dealer, I get home and I see a message saying all four tires are under inflated.
Checked the tires myself and filed them back up to the correct pressure.

Don't know what is happening, but I'm starting to think that some dealerships are not competent enough to service my car.

BTW, I was so upset when I saw the oil on my driveway that I called the dealership and told them that they better send someone out to clean it up. They did.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have had the same problem, all three initial services the crankcase was overfilled significantly. I mentioned it to them before my last service and they seemed amazed such a thing would happen, then sure enough it was overfilled again. I didn't have time to show them, so I drained the excess off myself. I believe what happens is the technicians get in a hurry, fill the crankcase until the dipstick shows full, then call it good. The additional 1/2-1 quart in the system that hasn't gotten to the crankcase yet, the owners manual specifically states that you should wait 15 minutes before checking oil level. All they really have to do is put the specified amount in and call it good, shouldn't even need to check. It's unfortunate so many dealers seemingly can't get this very simple thing right. Once the oil changes aren't free anymore, I will be doing this myself.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Same issue here. Had service recently and noticed the work order said 8 quarts. I checked the manual and it said 5.8 was the right amount. Checked the dipstick and sure enough it was way too full. Dealer drained it all and started fresh. Got it back and noticed it was still 1\4 inch or so above the top mark when the car is stone cold. Found the same thing on my wife's car that had gotten its last service over the summer at a different dealer. Guess that isn't enough to quibble about and I haven't but I expect premium service for a premium car, which includes accurate technician work.

TJ

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Perhaps they aren't emptying all of the old oil either. I have not changed the oil on these cars yet but with the older 5 cylinder motors another half quart or so comes out after you put a new filter in and remove the drain plug a second time. I have never figured out why that happens but it does.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I have had the same problem 3 times from a dealer. Once was 8 quarts as well, and was due to a misprint in the '13 manual that says the T5 capacity is 7.8. I agree with WayneT5 because my trusted Inde was overfull by 1/4" after getting it right twice.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
You all have dipsticks? :rolleyes:
Yes, were are a very uncultured group. We have to pop the hood to check the oil, oh the travesty. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yes, were are a very uncultured group. We have to pop the hood to check the oil, oh the travesty. :)
We're a grateful group too. ;)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Perhaps they aren't emptying all of the old oil either. I have not changed the oil on these cars yet but with the older 5 cylinder motors another half quart or so comes out after you put a new filter in and remove the drain plug a second time. I have never figured out why that happens but it does.
That's interesting. Did the old 5 cyl have the cartridge? Since the filter is mounted upside down I wonder if there's a check valve that prevents all the oil from draining back to the pan and removing the cap or filter cartridge releases this valve. Whenever I changed the oil in my 5 cyl the last step for me is inserting the drain plug so I haven't noticed additional oil draining out after the filter change. Never thought to look down while messing with the filter. But I do know that 6 quarts on a 2012 5 cyl puts the oil level right on the full mark.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
That's interesting. Did the old 5 cyl have the cartridge? Since the filter is mounted upside down I wonder if there's a check valve that prevents all the oil from draining back to the pan and removing the cap or filter cartridge releases this valve. Whenever I changed the oil in my 5 cyl the last step for me is inserting the drain plug so I haven't noticed additional oil draining out after the filter change. Never thought to look down while messing with the filter. But I do know that 6 quarts on a 2012 5 cyl puts the oil level right on the full mark.
The first 5 cylinder motors had an old fashioned metal filter and then went to the cartridge starting in '99 for the turbo cars, both mounted "right side up", ie opening of the filter up, so I've never figured out where that oil comes from. My theory is that when removing the old filter some of the oil remains in the pan so removing the drain plug a second time gets the rest of it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts