SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, I have engine oil in the cooling system, does not appear to have coolant in the sump, any common issue or tips?

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
As the title states, I have engine oil in the cooling system, does not appear to have coolant in the sump, any common issue or tips?
Oil cooler failure. Oil pressure is much higher than coolant pressure, roughly 2x (3 bar) versus 150 kpa on the cooling system. Its a known failure but not super common. Luckily an easy swap out. Oil cooler is on the back of the block and is attached with 4 torx screws and 2 hose clamps. You'll need to replace the 2 o rings that seal it to the pan.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like an easy but messy job! Will order one from the USA and replace it.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's just a base N/A 2.4, a B series I believe, nothing special, it has always had the slightest amount of milky residue in the header tank, I figured it was left over from a previous repair, but today it spat out a heap of milky goop, going to use it as little as possible and redirect the overflow hose to a catch can. I've ordered parts through Rockauto, they will be here in a couple of weeks, I know they are not genuine parts, but when the genuine parts are worth more than what you payed for the car, it just isn't viable. Flushing the cooling system will be the most fun, some of the decent degreasers we use in the Cummins engines fitted to our 196 ton Road Trains should see it sorted.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Oil cooler failure. Oil pressure is much higher than coolant pressure, roughly 2x (3 bar) versus 150 kpa on the cooling system. Its a known failure but not super common. Luckily an easy swap out. Oil cooler is on the back of the block and is attached with 4 torx screws and 2 hose clamps. You'll need to replace the 2 o rings that seal it to the pan.
Got any idea on transmission pressure vs engine pressure? Looking to get the best filter I can for my tranny fluid, but a magnafine won't fit on my mount.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the oil cooler swapped out, super easy job, the excess oil in the cooling system is another issue, it has destroyed the thermostat simply by not allowing coolant to flow through the radiator, the radiator is choked with thick brown goop, looks like I'm going to have to pull the radiator and somehow flush / clean it out. :mad:

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
If you're going through the trouble of pulling the radiator just replace it unless it's fairly new. Radiators are known to leak with age as well as the hose connections are brittle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts