SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm stumped. I have an 05 sr cel has been on for a while with a 101 code I was planning on tuning the car and upgrading the maf but now I'm trying to sell it so I am just replacing it. Car ran fine all the time. But now after I have replaced the maf the engine is liking choking. But that happened after I cleared the code. So I unplugged the maf and it started running fine again. I had my buddy get me a re man maf from his parts supplier so I figured it was the maf and we returned it and got another one and same thing. And we returned it and again got another and again car still choked. So today I went to eeuro and picked up an oem Bosch maf and just changed it and still acting up. to best of my knowledge if you unplug the maf and it runs fine then it's the maf. But after 4 mafs I have had no change. Can anyone help me figure this out? I'm selling the car and need it fixed. I am beyond stumped. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you unplug the MAF and it runs better it's either the MAF or a vacuum leak.
Yeah that's what Connor told me when I asked him but the thing that gets me is that it was running fine before I ever touched the maf. And it was plugged in.

Connor if you see this I'm not doubting you lol

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I edited my post in include poor connection or damaged wires.
I'll take a look at the wires. But if it was the wires wouldn't it happen before I ever changed the maf? Because as soon as I cleared the code it happened. I used to clear the code all the time even tho it would come right back on but I never had this current issue.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
So previously there was a MAF codes but no running issues, only after the MAF changed out it started having issues. Don't know what to say other than you should have sorted this out a while ago. It's quite possible that it's an electrical issue that was made worse when disconnecting the MAF. Check the contacts for corrosion and the wire insulation for cracking/splitting. I also suggest smoking the intake system to find any leaks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So previously there was a MAF codes but no running issues, only after the MAF changed out it started having issues. Don't know what to say other than you should have sorted this out a while ago. It's quite possible that it's an electrical issue that was made worse when disconnecting the MAF. Check the contacts for corrosion and the wire insulation for cracking/splitting. I also suggest smoking the intake system to find any leaks.
I never unplugged the maf. I only unplugged it because it was running bad. I haven't driven the car really in a few months since I bought a truck. It's been sitting in my driveway. The maf was always plugged in. As soon as I cleared the cel it started having issues

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
OK, I was confused (quite easy to do). ECU probably had adjusted for or just right out ignored the MAF signal before you reset the codes. Smoke the system and check for leaks. Here's a cheap and somewhat effective way of performing a smoke check, but I'd cap off the MAF and use the vacuum hose that's attached to the throttle inlet pipe.

I don't like cigars, I just use a homemade smoker that's very effective.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I was confused (quite easy to do). ECU probably had adjusted for or just right out ignored the MAF signal before you reset the codes. Smoke the system and check for leaks. Here's a cheap and somewhat effective way of performing a smoke check, but I'd cap off the MAF and use the vacuum hose that's attached to the throttle inlet pipe.

I don't like cigars, I just use a homemade smoker that's very effective.
I haven't had a cigar in a few years. Looks like a good excuse for a stog lol. Thanks for that. Ill have to try that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts