SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last week or so, a very cyclic/repeating noise has come from under the hood on cold starts only. Warm engine does not reproduce the sound.

These two things make me think that the noise is from the accessory belt area, maybe a bearing that is starting to lose the battle with time. I have never dealt with belt-work before, and my attempt to look at the area didn't indicate that the belt was slipping but did have good tension.

I've scheduled an appointment with my indy as anything belt related scares me (I had a water pump bearing go in my 1993 subaru svx and the related problem spread and ended up shredding my timing belt).

Noise is hard to catch with my phone but here is a video. I had to turn it all the way up on my mac to really hear it since it's pretty faint.

Any thoughts on a first impression? Car just turned 70k and has original belts etc.

TIA

·
Registered
859 Posts
I'll put my money on Alternator. Many people have had such luck. Most start thinking it's the power steering, but it's really the alternator bearing. It's a common failure point on our system.
Be sure to read the below thread for finding the correct replacement alternator.
Alternator Thread

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I was getting a noise like yours, about 3 months later the noise became consistant - turned out to be my tensioner was failing on the serpentine belt and the belt started to walk off. Replaced the belt and tensioner, also replaced my timing, tensioner and pulley while in there, just a peace of mind thing. I was at 94k miles.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have the same exact noise that started about a month ago. Only does it on cold starts as you mentioned though.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fingers crossed it's just a tensioner or idler pulley, dont want to drop the coin on the alternator :( Need that money to refresh the suspension bushings and get some new tires for the white-season.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Pull your serp belt off and start it. If the noise is still there, well....that sucks. But if it goes away, you have an accessory issue. Spin all the pullies and accessories to find the crunchy one. Sounds like it could be an idler or something.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I was getting a noise like yours, about 3 months later the noise became consistant - turned out to be my tensioner was failing on the serpentine belt and the belt started to walk off. Replaced the belt and tensioner, also replaced my timing, tensioner and pulley while in there, just a peace of mind thing. I was at 94k miles.
+1, Just did this myself

1 - 7 of 7 Posts