SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm helping my sister with some maintenance of her 2006 V70 2.4 N/A and I need your advice on a whole bunch of stuff. Car has around 178k miles/185 000 km on it.

a) Engine mounts. Manual transmission, squeek from engine when it's moving e.g coming on/off the gas, engine dies easily at low speed manouvering. The front lower torque rod has been replaced a few months ago, it helped but more mounts need to be replaced. I'm thinking the right side engine pad on the subframe. Should I also replace the top big chunky mount on the top of the engine? There was some movement there but I don't know if that one will help, what do you think? Are there any other easily replaceable mounts?

b) Wheel bearing? - Makes a groaning noise that varies with speed, not RPM or transmission engagement. My first thought was wheel bearing. I felt all four wheels when the car was on a lift. I'm inexperienced with wheel bearings but I couldn't feel any play or noise from any of the wheels. I also drove the car and tried turning, which I've heard should make a bad wheel bearing sound more or less depending on direction. I noticed no difference in sound. What could be wrong?

c) PCV - Car is losing oil slowly, had some oil smudge around the fill cap that I don't think was there before. Smoke from the dipstick when I lifted it with the engine idling. Is there anything I can do that doesn't involve tearing the intake off and replacing the oil trap box thing?

d) Lastly, the car sounds like a diesel. CEL came on a few times after purchase. VIDA showed a code for bad VVT intake solenoid. Cleaned it and changed the oil, hasn't come back in a year. Reportedy the car has felt like it's down on power, similarly to how it felt when the CEL was on. Is the diesel sound related to this perhaps? Or could it be something else? Is there something that should be done about this and if so, what, apart from possibly changing the VVT solenoid? Or is this "normal" on a high mileaged car?

Registered
b) Wheel bearing? - Makes a groaning noise that varies with speed, not RPM or transmission engagement. My first thought was wheel bearing. I felt all four wheels when the car was on a lift. I'm inexperienced with wheel bearings but I couldn't feel any play or noise from any of the wheels. I also drove the car and tried turning, which I've heard should make a bad wheel bearing sound more or less depending on direction. I noticed no difference in sound. What could be wrong?
I recently did both front wheel bearings. One was seriously noisy and became much more so under load. The other was less noisy (in fact I didn't even realize it was worn until the really bad one was done) and produced no additional noise under load. Both were worn and once out of the car it was clear both were extremely rough.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recently did both front wheel bearings. One was seriously noisy and became much more so under load. The other was less noisy (in fact I didn't even realize it was worn until the really bad one was done) and produced no additional noise under load. Both were worn and once out of the car it was clear both were extremely rough.
How did you know which were bad? I couldn't tell any of the four apart, the only noise when I spun the wheels was from the brake pads touching the discs. No play in the bearing either when I tugged on the wheels.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
b) Wheel bearing?

c) PCV

d) Lastly, the car sounds like a diesel.
Volvo gave their verdict on these.

b) Yes. One or both front wheel bearings are bad but the tech wasn't sure and couldn't rule out the diff. But probably wheel bearing though. Any help? Should I advice her to replace one or both wheel bearings and hope for the best?

c) No, they thought it was fine and normal as long as it wasn't shooting up oil from the dipstick. Smoke was probably just water vapor according to the tech. Consistent with driving patterns for the car.

d) Talked to the tech, he suspected some VVT unit on the actual cam shaft. I insisted and said the error code pertained to the solenoid but after I played a recording of how the engine sounded at idle he was convinced it was the VVT, not the solenoid.

So now remains the motor mounts and also a new point: parking brake is bad too. Volvo adviced to replace both the brakes that sit within the disc as well as the wires. Wires would probably be the most expensive of all the aforementioned above since it involves tearing out half the interior = labour intensive. I'm wondering if this part is worth doing myself to save some money? I can spare the time, as long as it isn't too involved and messy and difficult. I don't want to dig in to the actual brakes though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts