SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mechanic informed me that I need to replace my engine mounts which I'm going to attempt to do myself. I'm not sure if I have to replace all of them or not.

So first question:

1) How do I diagnose which mounts need to be replaces

Next

2) Any tips or tricks on how to get the job done?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Well on the S/V40 series there are 4 total mounts, and some subframe bushings.

If you have a 2000 model the passenger side upper mount is different than the 01'+ mount. This mount is relatively easy to do as long as you support the weight of the motor with a jack (place some wood under to disperse the load). If you do have an 01'+ you'll want to replace the metal bracket with it as well.

The 2000-04 have the same mount configuration on the upper drivers side. It is under the airbox which you'll have to remove. Same as the other side, support the weight of the motor with a jack (you may at some point have to move the jack up or down to move the motor and align the mounts.

The underside mounts or torque mounts are also different depending on model years. The 2000 model has a large and small mount, and the 01' uses the same on the front and rear of the the center crossmember. You'll have to remove the cross brace between the lower control arms, and then remove the center crossmember, it bolts into the front core support and rear subframe (4 bolts with a centering pin and rubber mounts).

You can visually inspect the mounts to see if the rubber has cracked or the mount will look like its sagging. The upper mounts are hydraulic filled and will leak oil down the sides of the frame rails if they're shot. The lower torque mounts are bad if you notice lots of engine movement between gear changes (like park to reverse, reverse to drive). You may also feel excessive vibration in the cabin if the mounts are gone, or hear rattling under the engine compartment.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm feeling a lot of rattling and am not seeing any oil leaks. So maybe I'll tackle the bottoms first and see if that fixes the problem.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Started on the top Drivers side and was able to replace it rather easily. I'm working on the passengers's side and I've removed all of the bolts from the Mount and the bracket. (I believe you have to remove both together and then take them apart) but I'm not able to budge the bracket or the mount from the engine, even though all of the bolts are out. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
505 Posts
may have to place a jack under the passenger side of the motor and raise or lower to remove tension on the stud coming from the motor.

Place a piece of wood under the jack to spread the load so you don't harm the oil pan.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
may have to place a jack under the passenger side of the motor and raise or lower to remove tension on the stud coming from the motor.

Place a piece of wood under the jack to spread the load so you don't harm the oil pan.

Had the jack on the other side. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts