SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my 855's engine is making a lot more noises than before. I used to only hear the nice low "woooooooo" sound coming from the volvo, but these days there are lots more other mechanical noises. I opened up the hood and hear that theres a pretty loud "tick tick tick tick" coming from the passenger side of the engine. From what I heard it was near the "steering fluid" cap.

What could it be?

Also the car idles a bit rough. There is defeinitely more vibration now (checked engine mount, its still intact, a little cracked on the bottok but its still solid). When the car idle I could hear and feel it goes smooth for like 3 turns, and then rough for 3 turns, rpm goes up a bit when rough.

while in "P" I press the gas to about 1500, then this is more noticible, it goes smooth and then rough (wth rpm rising a little) and just keep cycling like that.

definitely sounds like something went a little out of alignment in the engine somewhere...

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Re: engine making lots of noises and not running too smooth (xtremepsionic)

Hmm. I wouldn't worry about the ticking sound if it is what I think it is. When I pop open my hood that tick-tick-tick-tick sound is like the loudest mechanical noise from the motor at idle and it is just that - our ten Valve engine have noisy valves!!
The roughness shouldn't be related. The O2 sensor may fix that up.
I've heard you can do this but I don't think it will do anything if the sensor is really shot. Disconnect the battery for ten minutes, reconnect it and everything should reset. Take it for a little drive and see if after half an hour everything works ok. This may work if maybe there is nothing really wrong but a little confused in the sensors. kind of a long shot, but a free test non-the less.
If you get errors than you need something fixed. The ten valve is remarkably smooth when running nice! I've heard people say don't buy a ten valve but as far reliability they seem quite understressed, easy going engines. Just low on horsepower and mine burns a bit more oil than I would like (doesn't seem to bother the car at all).
One service I've had done that I think is good for keeping it tip-top is having the dealer take apart the throttle body and clean it. I guess they actually wash the inside of the engine and vacuum it (maybe I'm being fed a line of something but it did cost $200 each time!). I had it done when my cheap hose that goes from the airbox to the throttle body cracked from the engine heat and was taking in some dirty air and also when my PVC (?) valve that recirculates crank gases went bye, bye.

Usually rough idle is the O2 sensor, I'd take it in to your trusty volvo dealer (if they are trusty in your area http://********************/smile/emwink.gif ) or work on it yourself if you can. Myself I can some things mechanically myself but I'm not ashamed to pay for it if I have any doubts! If I can diagnose the problem I'm happy then take it somewhere to get fixed. I do like going in knowing whats wrong though, then you don't get screwed.
Well, that my very long two cents. Hope it can be resolved shortly, keep it in peak condition. Have you tried reconnecting that cat pipe yet? Maybe that is throwing off the sensors, the lambda or something. It's possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: engine making lots of noises and not running too smooth (xtremepsionic)

I too have starting getting a Tick Tick Tick Tick noise from the front of the car.
There is no noise untill the car warms up then the noise comes in when I rev to 1800-2000.
I took it to the dealer and he is checking the timing belt and tensioners.
My car is right hand drive s the sounds is audible in the car and eminates from directly infront of the drivers area down low.
He did mention checking the oil pump but I think thats a no show.
I feel preety bad about getting the timing belt changed 25,000miles before it should but it will give me piece of mind. My car is 1999 V70R 56K

If you find out anything please let me know.

Thanks

Shane

1 - 4 of 4 Posts