SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine light comes on intermittently, the code is 0443.

Before this code came on I replaced some cracked hoses between the intake and the Evap Purge Valve, and replaced the Evap purge valve itself.

I have the tools but I'm not sure where to begin, I have checked all the hoses and don't see any obvious problems.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
One possible challenge is that you appear to be using an OBDII reader to get your code versus VIDA and DICE. Entirely possible that you have an issue with the Evap Valve and the intake but I can't see exactly where this code correlates to a Volvo ECM-xxxx code (some reference to ECM-421B, I can't find this specific code in the 2004 MY information). Having a closer look with the right diagnostic tool would be helpful if for no other reason than to see the exact Volvo-speak problem area with an associated troubleshooting flow.
Assuming that indeed it's an ECM-4007 Evaporative emission [EVAP] system (maybe so, maybe no) Signal too high or Signal too low, VIDA notes the following:
Condition-
When the control module activates evaporative emission system [EVAP] control, the idle air trim or short-term fuel trim will change. Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) ECM-4007 is stored if the engine control module (ECM) does not detect any change in the idle air trim or in the long term fuel trim when evaporative emission [EVAP] control is active. The engine control module (ECM) interprets this as a faulty evaporative emission [EVAP] system.
Possible source-
Open:
Faulty EVAP canister purge valve.
Closed:
Blocked hose between the EVAP canister and the EVAP canister purge valve
Blocked hose between the EVAP canister purge valve and the intake manifold
Faulty EVAP canister purge valve.

So you might trace the hoses all the way back to the evap canister which I believe is in the spare tire well. Since you have already replaced the valve and worked the hose to the intake, this might be your next logical stop. But it looks like there are a whole bunch of other evap related codes (ECM-4000 thru ECM-4024) which suggest blockage or leakage in the system (canister, pump, fuel tank, valve). Can't hurt to walk the whole system from the front of the car all the way to the back.

Maybe someone who has had this specific OBDII code pop up but also have VIDA can chime in but for my money, getting the Volvo-speak code would go a long way in your search.

Good luck !

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only other clue I have is when I put the key in the 2nd position (for example when reading the OBDII) I hear something hydraulic activating under the hood and it happens over and over again, I also hear it when I start the car, not sure if this normal or related to the problem.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Guessing your sound is the brake vacuum pump working.
Here's an example of the sound (system leak so pump runs more than it is supposed to):

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, that is exactly the noise we have, is the brake booster the only culprit or are there other components that could cause this?

Not a lot of Evap junkies out there that want to chime in on my code issue?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts