SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed that the engine ground strap is kind of corroded (white/gray) and looks dull and worn.

Can it be cleaned without affecting its efficiency and if so what should be used to clean it?

I am wondering how important the function of the ground strap is? I have read post about how engine idle and all kinds of issues were sorted out by just replacing a ground strap - sounds a bit exaggerated but what do I know.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
If it's corroding, you should remove it and carefully clean the end connections. They shouldn't corrode under normal circumstances.

You can clean it without any issue whatever,but cleaning it externally won't have any actual effect. If it's compromised due to corrosion, replace it. A bad ground will cause many issues.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If it's corroding, you should remove it and carefully clean the end connections. They shouldn't corrode under normal circumstances.

You can clean it without any issue whatever,but cleaning it externally won't have any actual effect. If it's compromised due to corrosion, replace it. A bad ground will cause many issues.
Thanks Tom.

The ends are not corroded, rather the braided part has turned green from oxidation. I decided to clean it by gently rubbing it with a thin wire brush and then sprayed it with oxide cleaner.

What are typical issues a bad ground can cause?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Any number of flaky behaviors related to engine running or system issues like immobilizer or the like. The ECM is mounted on the engine, and it requires a good solid electrical supply, plus there's the starter, etc. There are actually several places where these currents return to chassis ground, my main point is that if one is corroding, that is indicative of an issue, either in that connection or possibly another, less obvious one. Unless you live on the coast or something.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any number of flaky behaviors related to engine running or system issues like immobilizer or the like. The ECM is mounted on the engine, and it requires a good solid electrical supply, plus there's the starter, etc. There are actually several places where these currents return to chassis ground, my main point is that if one is corroding, that is indicative of an issue, either in that connection or possibly another, less obvious one. Unless you live on the coast or something.
I haven't had any starter or engine issues, but I have had issues with the SCL (steering lock) and SCU (ignition switch) where both were replaced. But judging from the many people who have had issues with this, this is more a matter of faulty parts than ground issues?

I live in Denmark where the weather is cold and humid in the winter. After another search on the web it seems green oxidation is quite normal and harmless for ground straps?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts