SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volvo S80 3.2 AWD 2007

Hello 馃檪
My engine cooling fan will broke soon I think because when it spins it vibrates like crazy.

So is it hard to remove cooling fan? Or after replacement vida should be involved? Or its just "out with the old and in with the new" 馃槃

Or maybe can someone share instruction how to remove it ? How i see it looks like I just have to unplug connectors and it will just slide up.

Registered
Volvo S80 3.2 AWD 2007

Hello 馃檪
My engine cooling fan will broke soon I think because when it spins it vibrates like crazy.

So is it hard to remove cooling fan? Or after replacement vida should be involved? Or its just "out with the old and in with the new" 馃槃

Or maybe can someone share instruction how to remove it ? How i see it looks like I just have to unplug connectors and it will just slide up.
Mine would keep spinning even when the car was switched off u til it would drain the battery. I ended up replacing the whole fan assembly. From what I can remember you I do a couple of bolts and electric connector and it slides upwards. I don鈥檛 need to involve vida for anything except for removal instructions. Sorry it鈥檚 been a while but it鈥檚 not too difficult.

Cheers,

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My car is equiped with single fan and I ordered single fan. But I noticed and sellers said that there is also dual fan and i noticed that my car has second connector. And also volvo is offering single or dual fan. When 3.2 engine will have dual fan?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can someone check vida if some radiator/transmission hoses should be removed? Volvo s80 3.2 AWD 2007

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Strange :) Maybe some cars has more equipment and thats why dual fans are installed. Or maybe it's based on country and climate :)
I was looking around how to pull that fan and it looks like there is not much room to wiggle. I hope that there wouldn't be needed to remove radiator or transmission hoses :D

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So if anyone wants to replace engine fan on 3.2 or 3.0 engines for s80 it will only slides trough bottom of the car. You only need to unscrew radiator holding points and make room to slide down the fan.

Registered
If you remove the radiator, the condenser AC lines need to be disconnected as well, and you will need to recharge your AC. I tried removing the radiator without the condenser and ended up kinking and tearing a hole in the condenser hose.

Registered
I've just done a fan controller and fan swap without removing the whole fan assembly completely.

Why no the whole assembly? because I don't have any ramp nor jacks to raise up the car and drop the whole shroud through bottom the car, so my experience may sounds stupid but it is how I get parts changed.

So that is, I've ordered a fan controller at first because apparently it shows fan controller failure in VDASH and the fan will only spin up occasionally. My car comes with dual fan version thus I've ordered a dual output controller in China and have it shipped to Hong Kong.
Changing the controller itself is neither easy or hard, because the power plug is brittle and can break easily, and a extra short philip screwdriver is needed to release the screw which bolts up the controller.
So changing the controller itself is ~15 mins job but can be faster if you have the right tools.

So after changing the fan controller it throws out another code namely fan#1(larger fan) is faulty. So the fan couldn't spin up without a few pushes. And even it spins up the fan is not running in full speed. Therefore I've ordered a fan with motor (claimed to be OE quality but questionable since it feels like a brushed fan rather than a brushless one).
It is quite tricky to pull the whole shroud to a level which there is enough clearance to pull out the fan#1, but doable(not pulling the whole assembly out!)
On my car there is no bolts on the shroud clip, release both sides of clip and you can lift it up, but eventually you need to push the top of shroud towards the engine to let the tabs pass through the top of engine bay.
Then you need to unscrew the steering fluid hose hook (10mm hex, near the A/C pump) to make more clearance for the shroud to pass through the kinks by the tranny cooler and some other hoses at the bottom.
After several attempt I managed to pull the faulty fan out and swap the new unit in. Then tighten it with 8mm hex socket and all done
The fan is now running high again and no more overheating.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, if you want to pull it trough the top then you have to disconnect a lot of stuff.
I was trying to pull old fan trough top and ended up breaking it's housing and there is a lot of risk to break new one when you try to squeeze it in.
But I think it's doable like konealta said :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts