SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '04 R is presenting a quite strange engine failure. It fails to accelerate and shudders but only during light loads (low speed off-on throttle transition, light throttle) and when it is hot. This is a PITA
in traffic. If given more gas it accelerates just fine and runs well.

I would appreciate your opinion on where to look for the problem first.

If it was ECU-gas pump-Inyector related then why the problem only presents at low loads?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: Engine fail under low accel and hot conditions. (Jayam)

I would bypass the boost control solenoid, thus limiting the boost to < 5psi, and see how it acts. The hose map is on the bottom side of the hood, above the master cylinder and the BCS is attached on the driver side of the airbox.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Engine fail under low accel and hot conditions. (JimLill)

Thanks Jim, I'll try that but, how do I bypass the BCS? What sould I disconnect and/or reconnect?

·
Super Moderator
14,838 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Jayam »
Thanks Jim, I'll try that but, how do I bypass the BCS? What sould I disconnect and/or reconnect?

there is a boost line coming into the BCS and there is another one that goes to the wastegate. i think he means to just take the boost line directly to the wastegate.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Jayam »

Connect the red line from the turbo compressor directly to the yellow line going to the wastegate. That will require use of a inline piece to splice the two hoses.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Re: Engine fail under low accel and hot conditions. (JimLill)

im having the same trouble, but with a slight popping sound when i let off the gas after medium to hard acceleration. the power has dropped a good bit over the whole band, and i suspect there is a leak somewhere in the hoses?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Re: Engine fail under low accel and hot conditions. (Elmoworld)

I had similar symptoms right after I had the TCV changed. It was really really hot, in the low 100's. What I did was reset the ECU and everything went back to normal. I would try that first, since it is free and easy to do.

Pull the #6 & #23 fuse in the engine compartment, try to start the engine by turning the key. Reinstall the fuses and see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Re: Engine fail under low accel and hot conditions. (steamboatsig)

im gonna try that too. also, does anyone know if there is supposed to be a hose clamp on the large hose connecting to the metal connector of the tcV?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Engine fail under low accel and hot conditions. (Elmoworld)

I tried resetting the ECU and it's running well now. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif If it goes bad again I'll also try to bypass the solenoid.

Thanks a lot ConRad and Jim.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts