SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 1998 V70R blew a motor. We were about to replace it with a GLT motor, on the thinking that the higher compression would make it quicker at the low end, and the R ECU calling for more boost than the GLT ECU would make for a potentially hot little number. The GLT engine has 91,000 on it.

Now there is available a T5 also. A direct replacement, but this one has 130k on it, 40k more than the GLT motor. So what's more important- less miles, or correctness?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
The potential problem with the GLT motor and R ecu is improper timing and fuel tables for the higher compression.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get the impression the mech has done this before....we were going to bring the injectors over too. Worst case scenario is I gotta call Lucky

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
how about you call lucky to start with.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thread searches on VS point to success without the need for reflash, but sure I can call to make sure.

Or I could go with the higher mileage motor, plug and play, and call it a day. I guess I'm intrigued by the former option enough that I'm not quite willing to reject it out of hand.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
my 1998 V70R blew a motor. We were about to replace it with a GLT motor, on the thinking that the higher compression would make it quicker at the low end, and the R ECU calling for more boost than the GLT ECU would make for a potentially hot little number. The GLT engine has 91,000 on it.

Now there is available a T5 also. A direct replacement, but this one has 130k on it, 40k more than the GLT motor. So what's more important- less miles, or correctness?
Curious, could you be a bit more specific on the demise of the R motor? Also, if your going to the trouble of swapping out a motor, your intentions must be leaning towards keeping this car for a bit. I'd take the T5, freshen it up with some new internals so you can go worry free with some higher boost which would more than compensate for the difference in compression, and your still plug and play!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aaaah how much time do you have? :) long story short- oil boiled into the reservoir. Replaced radiator, and all hoses, hoping oil cooler took a dump. Nope. Removed head, sent to shop, polished up and pressure tested a-ok, put it back on with new HG.....nope. Still coolant and oil bursting out of the reservoir. The Volvo tech (and as it happens the car's former owner) called it a day, worried something is wrong deeper in the motor.

So here we are. We have the 2.4 LPT GLT motor in hand, the 2.3 will be here in 2 days. He's leaving it up to me to pick- 91k 2.4 vs 130k 2.3

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update:

I'm going with the 2.4L. It has under 100k on it. we have a later R manifold for it too. We are sending the 16T from the dead T5 off to Cheetah for a refurb and will be using it instead of the stock 13g. So in the end the rig will be:

2.4L 16T
R injectors
R ECM

But I gotta wait for the turbo to get purty before we can finish up.

Rsterns- we'll get into the autopsy on the T5 at some point. We still want to know how oil was getting into the cooling system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts