SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So sadly my just built m66&k24 conversion died a couple of nights ago. I melted the piston in cylinder one (not 100% sure why yet either{never really seen this failure in all my search it is usually a bent Rod}). So now I need a new engine. I have been considering several different options 02+ 2.3(Dougy style), R 2.5, and late model 2.4. What is the best option in terms of bang for the buck( my build plan is to stay with the k24 and at a later date upgrade it)? My last engine was a 01 2.4lpt.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I've seen it happen before on a stock LPT... Serpentine failed, took timing belt with it... Somehow managed to melt a piston.

In terms of cost a 2004+ 2.5 LPT is the cheapest... Same everything as an R aside from pan, head, and Pistons (because of the compression ratio). If you have an R head, R Pistons, and R pan that's all that gets swapped. They're also cheap ($500) and haven't see a lot of boost ever.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Rebuild the engine that's in the car and you'll have a better result. You'll have a fresh build without the question mark around issues with a used engine, not to mention control module interchangeability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish it was feasible to rework the current engine since i just dropped over a $h1+ tone of money on my tune and trans conversion, but the scaring seemed to severe (according to the guys at my trusted local indy{same as yours Austin V70R})to go with that option. Also I would much prefer to build something stronger that can handle future upgrades without pushing the limits of the internals too far.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Get some new injectors and check the connectors and wiring leading to them. Single melted piston means you had one injector that was lean, which could be due to anything from a clogged orifice to a bad electrical connection.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
PS - You can rebuild what you got, may need another block and some additional internal parts, but no need to get a whole new engine to fix one burned out cylinder.

Look for dougy's engine rebuild threads, there's a lot you can do with used parts that's better than some unknown used engine swap.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I agree with Stealthy - buy an inexpensive block, a set of pistons, rings and gaskets, and get back on the road. Jeremy can shim the block when it goes back together and you'll be good to go. You can preserve your current tune (with slight tweaks) and I have a set of green injectors that I'll give you a deal on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys I am going to look into trying to save what I have. I am worried about the overall health of the engine. The previous owner seemed to have treated this car terribly and there is a large amount of carbon build up on all of the other pistons as where cylinder one looks super clean(my suspicion is that I had a small coolant and or water leak) I am wondering if this could have also been caused by the cylinder being lean.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PS just remembered that shortly after I purchased the vehicle the injector in cylinder one went out but after I replaced it I never had an issue with it again. Just wondering if it is possibly related(wire short? Ect.)

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
it. Hope your head isn't warped (probably is)

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
You'll ever know what happened with certainty, but it sounds like this engine had previous issues, which is always a risk with used cars / engines. Sorry to reiterate, but I suggest you source a block, have Jeremy do a short block rebuild, and use as much of your current top end as possible to retain the tune. Jeremy is as good as they come and will ensure the final product will be powerful and reliable.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
P.S - go Dougy style (as above) on this build and spend your $$ on coil overs from PdV Motorsports in the upcoming group buy. Power is great, but handling makes the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts