SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm looking at getting an 06' T5 and taking the motor out, and putting it in my R. Pretty sure my R crankcase is mildy cracked.

That would leave me with a nice R, but a dirt cheap T5 with no motor and a bad tranny. I can source a salvage tranny for $700, but not sure what to do for the motor.

Any ideas??? I'm thinkin maybe do something similar to what Dougy did and use a 2.3l? Not looking to make big power. Will the S60 2.4l and 2.5l motors hold up to K24 boost? Just gotta figure out what block to use, preferably one that's cheap/readily available. I'd just plop the R head on top of whatever appropriate block....

Thoughts??? Or, is this an entirely stupid idea..??

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SF Bay Area, CA. What's it worth to ya, shipped? I assume Viva can ship it...

This whole prospect of a cheapie T5/R build is b/c my R block is dying. From what i've found, buying a used B5244T5 is almost always a $1400 plus ordeal.
As such, i found a cheap 06' T5, but it's got a bad tranny. If i took the motor, that'd leave a perfectly good carcass with no motor/trans... Hence the research into a cheap block...

Is there any other combination of R head and 83mm bore block that'll handle the K24 and be reliable? Or is it correct to assume 81mm bore = GOOD, 83mm bore = BAD??

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
A complete nice 2.4 L T5 would be the easiest choice but I did like my 2.3 l... if you need I have brand-new 81.4 mm pistons with rings and H rods for 2.3 l or a complete short block.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Try Euro Auto Recycling in Rancho Cordova, they get the 2.4 sometimes.

916-635-9970

Or try ProlixArgon here on Swede, I got my engine through him, shipped to Washington for a fair price and low millage.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I talked to V&S salvage in Rancho Cordova and they wanted over $1300 for a B5244T5. An AW55-51SN with 90k on it from them is about $700 though.

I think after i take the motor, it's gonna be a T5 chassis with 170k mi, but no motor/trans....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts