SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search and didn't see any threads or youtube videos...

Has anyone DIY engine air filter replacement yet? If so any thing to watch out for?

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I have not ever opened the hood to take a look, but it is usually obvious once I do. In old cars, it is about some finger tight clips to open the filter housing then replace the filter.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts
I have done the Air-filer replacement multiple times on my V90CC. If I remember correctly, there are 9 (long, half-threaded) screws you remove and the upper half cover of the Airbox opens right up. No clips or anything. An easy 5-10 minute job. Just make sure you remove the screws securely and carefully. I had my wife open the air-box once while I poured oil into the car and she dropped one of the screws in the engine bay. I had to use a magnetic extending stick and luckily was able to fish out the screw buried deep in the engine bay.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have done the Air-filer replacement multiple times on my V90CC. If I remember correctly, there are 9 (long, half-threaded) screws you remove and the upper half cover of the Airbox opens right up. No clips or anything. An easy 5-10 minute job. Just make sure you remove the screws securely and carefully. I had my wife open the air-box once while I poured oil into the car and she dropped one of the screws in the engine bay. I had to use a magnetic extending stick and luckily was able to fish out the screw buried deep in the engine bay.
Very easy--just remove the screws as described.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Cut and pasted from another thread:

“high quality cabin filter from Beckarnley 042-2226 for $45 as opposed to the cheap Premium Guard. Looks like Fram now carries this as well CF12155. The Beckarnkey is very dense and heavy.

Only a couple air filters available- cheap Premium Guard for $14.95, WIX for $28 or OEM for $30. Sticking with the WIX.”

I’ll be doing this in about 6 months......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Cut and pasted from another thread:

“high quality cabin filter from Beckarnley 042-2226 for $45 as opposed to the cheap Premium Guard. Looks like Fram now carries this as well CF12155. The Beckarnkey is very dense and heavy.

Only a couple air filters available- cheap Premium Guard for $14.95, WIX for $28 or OEM for $30. Sticking with the WIX.”

I’ll be doing this in about 6 months......

This is for engine air filters. They're much easier than the cabin air filter, it's a 5 minute job. I don't recall the torx bit size so prepare them all to remove the cover.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
T25 is the size. Don't remove the screws all the way, they unscrew from the bottom and stay in the lid so you can't drop them.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
This is for engine air filters. They're much easier than the cabin air filter, it's a 5 minute job. I don't recall the torx bit size so prepare them all to remove the cover.
My CnP includes info for both filters, as I suspect most people will do both at the same time as both are required at 40k.

·
Registered
261 Posts
9 screws? I should take a look at ours but that seems crazy. Every car I've ever owned has been 4 clips or 4 screws.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts
9 screws? I should take a look at ours but that seems crazy. Every car I've ever owned has been 4 clips or 4 screws.
I'm not 100% sure if they are exactly 9. But yes, there are a lot more screws than you would normally have and no clips. If memory serves me right, at least 6 or 7 screws. It's been alomost half a year since I last accessed the air-filter area!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FYI I did this.... took about 2 minutes.
5x screws that do not fully remove themselves from the top cover. They are T25 sized, although my T20 head worked just find. A little tug to lift it up and old filter out, new filter in. Surprisingly no debris on the old filter.

Here is the filter I purchased and the website shipped very quickly to me. Identical to the OEM that came out

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-air-filter-mann-31370089

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I once had a surging idle that stopped as soon as I removed the air filter.
It still looked like new, but was clogged nonetheless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just changed out my air filter and can confirm it's super easy. Loosen the 6 screws highlighted below (as mentioned you don't have to take them fully out of the top of the air box guide, they're held nicely there so you don't loose them) and move the top half of the air box out of the way enough to pull out the old filter and slide in and properly seat the new clean air filter.

I thought the old filter wasn't very dirty when I first pulled it out, but after cutting into it some I did notice a lot of fine particles caught in there; I'm glad I changed it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts