SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i'm stopped, say at a red light and go to take off, as soon as the clutch starts to engage i'll get a pop/creak from somewhere under the front of the car. sounds like the drivers side.

i played around a little last night and managed to recreate the noise by forcefully turning the steering wheel to the right and stopping quickly.

endlinks? anything else i should check?

thinking about selling this car...and i want everything taken care of before i do.

·
6,442 Posts
Could be that, or could be the engine mounts.
I know I hear a little clunk during take-off and sometimes during shifting because of my shot engine mounts; I could let know if if that disapears once i replace them (soon)

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, i know the rears wil lneed changing soon...so i do get some noise going over bumps. but then again, no more or less than there ever was.

the top engine mount and trans mount are brand new as of thanksgiving. as well as poly inserts for the strut bar.

what else could it be? the steering rack?? it only started recently, after the car had an angle gear replacement. it'll also do it if i let off the throttle in second and thne get back on it. none of it is consistent though, except when i yank the steering wheel hard when stopped.

i had the car over a highbloom auto a few days before i brought it to volvo for th eangle gear replacement and nick checked the front end, said everything was good....

EDIT: and it's not axle ping, xc90 bolts were the first thing i ever did.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Re: (TGO)

I had this as well and the axle bolts were loose. But I'm hearing it again (since I did the upper engine mount conversion to strut bar) and I know my upper engine and lower tranny mounts are shot.

So this could be your problem. Do the bolts first. 5 min.

·
Registered
719 Posts
if its happening when you turn the wheel i am willing to bet it is the endlinks mine was doing that and i replaced them.....do your balljoints while your in there cuz mine were shot! (both endlinks and balljoints).

your VR is an 04 so im sure you have high miles like me....welcome to replacing Volvo's shoddy ball joints and various bushings

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.