SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, one of my second set of IPD endlinks bit the dust after being on the car for less than 6 months and is rattling like crazy now. This being the second set that haven't lasted more than a year, what are the other options out there aside from going back to stock? I need endlinks that will withstand punishment, as the IPDs just don't seem to be able to handle Boston roads.

·
Registered
179 Posts
After huge disappointment with "heavy duty" endlinks I just gave up and went back to the stock. Cheap and easy to replace.

Can't really understand why it's so difficult to make ball joints that would last for at least 2 years.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I got some pics I'll post up later tonight, but its basically this http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/139175-endlink-options/

I made a set with 12mm upper and lower studs but have not put them in yet. The reason its 12/12 instead of 12/10 is that the Elevate sways currently on my caR have a 12mm hole for an endlink instead of the stock and iirc IPDs 10mm hole. I have been running Meyle HD's which the drivers side got sloppy in less than 10k. This set of endlinks cost about $60 in parts with shipping.

-LookforJoe's XC

Few guys on VS have been running these without issues even during the winter. If an end wears out its only a few dollars for a replacement.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm...seems interesting but a lot of work and possibly easy to screw up. I might just go back OEM (or Meyle? not sure how good these are, but they are 1/2 the price of OEM) if I can't find something that lasts. Had no issues with OEM.

Could there be a reason why it's always my passenger side that goes first? Maybe the shock is worn out? Out of alignment?

·
Registered
911 Posts
I'm going back to the stock endlinks myself. After two sets of the ipd HD endlinks failing within a year of install, I'm done with'em.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Hmm...seems interesting but a lot of work and possibly easy to screw up. I might just go back OEM (or Meyle? not sure how good these are, but they are 1/2 the price of OEM) if I can't find something that lasts. Had no issues with OEM.

Could there be a reason why it's always my passenger side that goes first? Maybe the shock is worn out? Out of alignment?
No idea why the pass side goes. Mine is always the drivers side it's most likely from being lowered, hitting the same bumps/potholes every day on that side of the car on my way to work.

FYI these are insanely simple. 3 Pieces, 1 left-hand thread, 1 right-hand thread and the rod itself, align/tighten/done. My HD endlinks have come loose several times with the 10mm lower stud so there is a chance the bolt is just loose. I could meet up with you if I get some free time and you can check them out, see what you think.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Why have my IPD HD endlinks lasted 3.5 years and probably >50K miles w/o issues? Did they change the design, component spec, supplier, or metal material?

·
Registered
93 Posts
What about the Tki motorsports front links? They are pricey but I haven't heard anything bad about them. The only problem is they don't make the rear ones....yet, Jstro has the best endlink setup they offer for our cars IMO.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am thinking about making my own endlinks, it should be pretty easy all you need is an aluminum bar stock drilled and tapped at both ends, and then some heim joints from a heavy equipment manufacturer such as CAT and a couple bolts washers and nuts, good to go.

by the way iPd's warranty is 5 years on the HD endlinks.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Just ordered the DIY from speedway motors.
Used 12.5 with 3/8th and 7/16th since I have eibachs and oem sway.

Any tips on installing? Compress or lifting?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Swede_erik, FYI I cut my rods down to 12" because I felt the completed length was just a bit too long when I actually got the parts and assembled. You might want to cut them down too with a pipe cutter or change your order if it hasn't left yet.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I am thinking about making my own endlinks, it should be pretty easy all you need is an aluminum bar stock drilled and tapped at both ends, and then some heim joints from a heavy equipment manufacturer such as CAT and a couple bolts washers and nuts, good to go.

by the way iPd's warranty is 5 years on the HD endlinks.
whats the VAG company that makes adjustable end links?? ah yes this is one of the places I was thinking.. http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/End_Link/ES2063803/..as soon as I remember the other place I will post it.. they did adjustable CA's too..

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Why have my IPD HD endlinks lasted 3.5 years and probably >50K miles w/o issues? Did they change the design, component spec, supplier, or metal material?
Mine have been fine as well, and I have put over 11,000 miles on them in the past 7 months; not a peep comes out of them.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I shied away from the TKI endlinks only because of cost and it is stated right there on the website that they may get noisy. Nothing is more annoying than a noisy endlink on bumpy roads.

Hmm, Fitzy I might have to consider the DIY approach. What's the benefit of making them ourselves? Higher quality parts? I'm mainly looking for one that can stand up to abuse, since I'm tired of replacing them.

I'll check the bolt when it's not a blizzard outside. So probably sometime in March?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I shied away from the TKI endlinks only because of cost and it is stated right there on the website that they may get noisy. Nothing is more annoying than a noisy endlink on bumpy roads.

Hmm, Fitzy I might have to consider the DIY approach. What's the benefit of making them ourselves? Higher quality parts? I'm mainly looking for one that can stand up to abuse, since I'm tired of replacing them.

I'll check the bolt when it's not a blizzard outside. So probably sometime in March?
Mainly replacement cost of the heim joints if they wear out. There are many flavors of these as well some with boots some without iirc. They could be stiffer than stock/Ipd/Meyle HD but I have no idea.

Yeah total blizzard out right now, 7ft tall snowbank next to my garage right now.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts