SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,on page 108 of my manual,it states that incase of a top failure in the down position,there is a cover provided in the trunk. Has anyone ever seen that cover? I have not and the dealer has never heard of it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
that's news to me. the manual for my 2011 does not refer to a cover, and i'm sure it's nowhere to be found in my trunk...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yep, it's in the armrest with the inflator and the tow hook.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My 2009 manual refers to the cover too and I have always assumed that it was an option, because I don't have it. Or, because I bought the car used, the previous owner had lost it. Anyway, I do not have it or the tire inflator. But I know the reason I don't have the einflator is because it was only provided if you didn't have the spare, and I have the spare.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also have a spare tire. We looked behind the rear arm rest. Nothing. Then we looked at a new 13. Nothing. I am going to call Volvo today. Perhaps they discontinued it and never changed the manual.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Did you ever hear from Volvo on the car cover? I went through my 2011 manual more carefully and you're right - page 109 of my 2011 manual says:

TOP MALFUNCTION SERVICE REQUIRED The power retractable hard top cannot be operated. Contact an authorized Volvo retailer or service technician. If the top is down in this situation, a cover for the vehicle is provided in the trunk. see page 106 for more information.

Page 106 says nothing about a cover. I checked the trunk and do not see any cover. I checked my spare tire bag and there's no cover in there (but the tow hook is with the jack). I checked the removable rear seat arm rest and there's nothing in the cavity. (I have the spare so I have no inflator)

I am planning on calling Volvo customer service, but before I do so I am curious if you got any explanation.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Just looked at a new 2012, no cover.

·
Registered
28 Posts
FYI I bought my C70 yesterday. I test drove a 2010 and a 2011. The 2010 had the cover, the 2011 did not. I pointed out to the dealer that it was missing who at first said "They don't come with a cover" until I showed him the one in the 2010. He simply gave me the cover from the 2010 when I bought the 2011. It fit perfectly in the extra space in the center panel of the back seat, right where it belonged.

·
Registered
649 Posts
So I finally contacted Volvo Customer Service about the lack of a cover despite the reference in the owner's manual. After a couple of pleasant back and forths, I was told that Volvo stopped providing the cover but neglected to change the owner's manual, and has corrected later publications of the manual. The rep indicated that Volvo is "unable to provide this cover as there are none available" and that "Volvo reserves the right to change specifications without notice."

I find it hard to believe that this cover is not available. Lousy customer service for a premium brand, but I'll let it go for now. In my experience, it's the little things that really turn people off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's... odd. Do you have a towing eyelet? Mine is in the bag with the cover, and even printed on the bag for the cover states it contains the towing eyelet as well. Then again, like I said I got it out of a 2010 on the same lot since the 2011 didn't have it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
yes, the tow eyelet/hook thing is with the jack in the spare tire canvas bag (in a foam insert). Check your spare (if you have one) - you may now have two towing eyelets...

·
Registered
28 Posts
yes, the tow eyelet/hook thing is with the jack in the spare tire canvas bag (in a foam insert). Check your spare (if you have one) - you may now have two towing eyelets...
I don't have a spare. I didn't notice an eyelet in the compressor / fix-a-flat bag but I'll double check there next chance I get.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
i dont have a cover either. and no toe hook either. had a flat-tire-inflater-kit in the space between the seats but when i had a flat and tried it and it failed. just sprayed glue everywhere.

bought a spare and jack online and have them in the trunk now in case i'm ever out of AAA/cell range - which is getting rarer and rarer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My 2012 manual talks about the cover, but it is not in the car. I thought maybe a PO had taken it out, but it seems that Volvo may just not have put it in. Does anyone have a photo of it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a picture of the cover.
I couldn't find the thread were they talk about how to upload the pictures,can someone please post the link on how to do it?
I will be happy to share the pic after that

·
Registered
466 Posts
Home Depot has $10 tarps with eyelets and add a few bungees and you are good to go. Has anyone on here ever been caught in a rain storm with a failed top?

·
Registered
2011 C70 & XC60 (2001 V40 gone)
14 Posts
Here's additional info from my post: Rear seat backrest center removable cushion --...

Part number: Volvo 1385457: Cover for temporary use, and a towing eye. Apparenty the case does have Velcro, hook and loop, strips to match the strips inside the center backrest section (removable piece to access ski hatch/trunk)
This image is from another user who has a 2007.

Motor vehicle Personal luxury car Vehicle Automotive design Auto part

1 - 20 of 23 Posts