SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering possibly getting an OEM R-Design badge / emblem for my 2012 S60 R-D's trunk since Volvo decided only to do a grill badge / emblem this time around (unlike earlier models from several years ago which had trunk lettering as well).

Anyway, if I go ahead ***, I want something (semi-)permanent and was wondering whether plastic (OEM grille badge with prongs removed) or a chrome-plated hard enamel badge (not OEM perhaps?) (non-OEM? wording is different) would be better?

*** Part of me likes keeping things stock as much as possible but this seems to be something they should have included since the car's appearance is not stealth anyway so I don't think it warrants leaving it out on the trunk, just my opinion.

Anyway, my goal is something that will hold up better both to the elements (car washes, rain, snow, cold, waxing etc.) and adhere to the car surface better for long term use.
I like the style of the OEM one but it is intended for grille use (not that the metal one is necessarily designed for application o the exterior body either).

1) For long term adhesion and durability, would you go with the plastic or chrome-plated hard enamel one for adhesion (IF style where not a factor - i.e. I like the font of the plastic one since it matched my standard grille emblem / badge)?

2) Is (special) double sided tape the best bet t affix it to the trunk?
Or is there some SAFE other adhesive (some type of glue that would not mar the finish)?
(Not sure what process is used by Volvo to affix the standard silver lettering on the trunk ('S60', 'AWD', 'Volvo' etc.) and if that is some process that only works if done at the factory.

Plastic OEM illustration (not S60 one but photo is for illustration):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Vol...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2575a29f1d

Chrome-plated hard enamel (non-OEM):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Enam...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c2beb381c

Any tips or feedback (pro or against the idea) are appreciated?
Has anyone else considered and perhaps tried this?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Lol oh you R-Design folk, so anal about every last detail :D

I used 3M automotive mounting tape to attach my VOLVO letters in a spaced out fashion on my old car, after 2 years and lots of car washes it's still holding strong. You can pick some up at a local autozone or maybe even walmart.

Just buy a front grille RD emblem and cut the little mounting spokes off so it will sit flush against the trunk panel. OEM badges always look the best, someone with a keen eye will spot the differences between the OEM and aftermarket badges.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol oh you R-Design folk, so anal about every last detail :D

I used 3M automotive mounting tape to attack my VOLVO letters in a spaced out fashion on my old car, after 2 years and lots of car washes it's still holding strong. You can pick some up at a local autozone or maybe even walmart.

Just buy a front grille RD emblem and cut the little mounting spokes off so it will sit flush against the trunk panel. OEM badges always look the best, someone with a keen eye will spot the differences between the OEM and aftermarket badges.

:) Indeed Stefan...
Well I figure it is that one expected but missing detail. We 'R' quite the discerning enthusiasts.

Thanks re. your experience with the 3M mounting tape!
Yes, I would ONLY ever have considered (likely would have ended up passing it up regardless) the non-OEM badge if the feedback were to come back stating that the OEM plastic one is not intended for mounting to anything except but the front grille (which uses the mounting spokes and not some adhesive) and that it would not adhere properly and that the hard enamel one would adhere properly.
Sounds like that is a non issue and the 3M tape and plastic badge would fit my needs perfectly.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
:) Indeed Stefan...
Well I figure it is that one expected but missing detail. We 'R' quite the discerning enthusiasts.

Thanks re. your experience with the 3M mounting tape!
Yes, I would ONLY ever have considered (likely would have ended up passing it up regardless) the non-OEM badge if the feedback were to come back stating that the OEM plastic one is not intended for mounting to anything except but the front grille (which uses the mounting spokes and not some adhesive) and that it would not adhere properly and that the hard enamel one would adhere properly.
Sounds like that is a non issue and the 3M tape and plastic badge would fit my needs perfectly.
Glad to be of help, when you get done mounting it post up some pictures, my dad drives a 2013 RD XC-90 and has also been wanting a rear RD badge.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure, will do. I bought the mounting tape on the way home last night and ordered the OEM badge / emblem online.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just took the same emblem that's on the front grill, shaved the mounting nubs off and mounted it under the S60.
Looks ok.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I received the emblems and used pliers to twist off the mounting nubs from the one I intended to use on the trunk decklid. I was debating whether to put it under the S60 or by the T6 and AWD lettering.

I was getting ready to stick it on the trunk, but then had second thoughts; I am still thinking it through. Part of my thinking was to leave it off so as not to attract more attention than the car already gets, to keep away would be thieves. The other part of me knows it would look sharp and add a little extra touch of missing 'purpose'. :)
I will make my mind up sometime this week.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I received the emblems and used pliers to twist off the mounting nubs from the one I intended to use on the trunk decklid. I was debating whether to put it under the S60 or by the T6 and AWD lettering.

I was getting ready to stick it on the trunk, but then had second thoughts; I am still thinking it through. Part of my thinking was to leave it off so as not to attract more attention than the car already gets, to keep away would be thieves. The other part of me knows it would look sharp and add a little extra touch of missing 'purpose'. :)
I will make my mind up sometime this week.
You can always just use floss and take it off if you don't like it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts