SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have photos of the Ember Black? (better than what you can get on the Volvo configurator)

·
Registered
543 Posts
My car is Ember Black. I think it's a color better seen in person. It's a beautiful color.

Check with your dealer. They might have the painted displays. I thought it was an exact match

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks. I tried searching, but it was not fruitful

I'd like more Ember Black photos, but I agree that it's likely far better to see in person

I have a sapphire black metallic, and it's very hard to see any sapphire in it, even in person

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
My car is Ember Black. I think it's a color better seen in person. It's a beautiful color.

Check with your dealer. They might have the painted displays. I thought it was an exact match
Love my Ember Black Metallic.........

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, guys

I knew I'd discussed this, but I couldn't find the thread

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can someone describe the difference between Ember Black and Onyx Black? Is one deeper, richer than the other? If I buy an XC90 I want to get black, however without them being in stock I don't have any clue as to what the difference is and which would be the one I want.
Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
To me, Ember black is faintly brownish and matte. Onyx black is like a limo - very pure and deep black. Ember is classy, and Onyx is sporty. IMO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can someone describe the difference between Ember Black and Onyx Black? Is one deeper, richer than the other? If I buy an XC90 I want to get black, however without them being in stock I don't have any clue as to what the difference is and which would be the one I want.
Thanks.
In shade, they both look identical: Black.

In the sun, they are completely different. Ember Black has a rainbow of colors in its flake: green, blue, orange, red, and white. And when you stand back, the whole car takes on almost a copper hue (or, to borrow from other Volvo colors, it looks more like Rich Java or Twilight Bronze).

Onyx Black, on the other hand, is a more "traditional" combination of flake: blue/green, purple, and white and is less flashy overall. It's similar to the blue-ish Sapphire Black, but Onyx has much more flake in it; it looks like a silvery blue version of Ember Black. Unfortunately I don't have any closeup photos, or even any great photos in general, but I do have this. Check the C-pillar:

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. Now I want some video.

;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Love it... So looking forward to getting my car now! It's amazing to see how much difference there is between sun & shade on the colour.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It only looks like this on the parts of the car that are at the perfect angle to the sun. Don't expect your whole car just turns sparkly bronze in the sun like in those pictures. The whole car still looks black in the sun but parts of it have this effect - makes it a bit softer than onyx, even on overcast day the colour is softer and less stark than onyx - you can't pick it up with a camera. Goes well with amber leather and dark wheels.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Here are some photos from 2012....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts