SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another thread, an owner showed how he used Plastidip (?) to black out the silver Volvo letters and insignia on the back of a car.

It looked pretty good and was apparently very robust.

I have never liked chrome and although the new R Design does not have the chrome side sills, it still retains a chrome strip beneath the windows and along the roof rails.

Now knowing that the trim is only plastic, what would be the best, most professional and most permanent way to tone this down?

Even better, to match the paint in "Savile Grey"?

My soon to be gone 2007 R wagon had no chrome and still looks stunning.

Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
I'm a fan of the Oracal vinyls. There are different models out there and it seems the higher the model number, the longer the lifespan of the product.

These can get pricy as in the $1000s if you want to go hog wild on it.

I'm not sure if they have a good match for Savile Grey but they have 3-4 different greys in gloss and matte.

This one is just their dark grey gloss.

http://www.amazon.com/ORACAL-15In-1...=oracal+grey+Dark&refinements=p_89:Oracal+651

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for this suggestion.

Would think Savile Grey would look best if I could find a match, but note vinyl wraps and cars I have seen are often matte?

Perhaps a simple matte black would blend in nicely.

Would anyone know a good installer for this type of thing in the NYC area?

I'm a fan of the Oracal vinyls. There are different models out there and it seems the higher the model number, the longer the lifespan of the product.

These can get pricy as in the $1000s if you want to go hog wild on it.

I'm not sure if they have a good match for Savile Grey but they have 3-4 different greys in gloss and matte.

This one is just their dark grey gloss.

http://www.amazon.com/ORACAL-15In-1...=oracal+grey+Dark&refinements=p_89:Oracal+651

·
Registered
745 Posts
High end solution would be to have a body shop remove the pieces and paint them. From what I've heard the window trim is really hard to remove and a PITA to re-install. I would NOT have them painted on the vehicle.

Mid-end solution would be a higher quality wrap. There's more then a few vehicles in my area that have really nice wrap jobs that can handle snow/ice/gravel/etc...

Low-end is a DIY wrap or plasti-dip.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Tarrbot And I have discussed this in another thread, but thought I'd throw it in here just in case.
ShadowLineTrim.com has inexpensive and good vinyl if you're willing to install yourself. I've used it on my CTS-V and on my Focus ST and it held up very well (through auto car washes too).

Here's my before and after.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Tarrbot And I have discussed this in another thread, but thought I'd throw it in here just in case.
ShadowLineTrim.com has inexpensive and good vinyl if you're willing to install yourself. I've used it on my CTS-V and on my Focus ST and it held up very well (through auto car washes too).

Here's my before and after.

Looks good!

Could you take a pic closer to the vinyl and adjust the brightness of the pic? From my end, everything's really really black.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Can do, just need to get back home from a business trip. Check back on Saturday.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
I should also take some closeups...

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Shame to wrap the nice satin silver trim on that RD. Never understood it, especially when you have the nicely compatible roof rails, mirrors, sills, grill, diffuser, etc.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Shame to wrap the nice satin silver trim on that RD. Never understood it, especially when you have the nicely compatible roof rails, mirrors, sills, grill, diffuser, etc.

I like the color, I just think it's a Bit Too much. I like how the black window trim kind of breaks up the color scheme a bit. I've blacked out pretty much every black car I've owned, so I'm just fond of the look.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Hi Oakley,

You inspired me to order some of the gloss black vinyl fro shadowlinetrim.com...should be here Monday.

Couple of questions for you:

1. We're you able to wrap the rubber "trim" at the top of the doors too?
2. What'd you do with the back of the car? Did you wrap the horizontal trim piece under the Volvo letters? Did you keep your letters on?

It seems the preference for detail work like our Volvo letters is to use plastidip instead of vinyl, but when I dipped my grille, even after five coats of glossifier, it didn't come out with the deep gloss finish like that of the B pillar trim.

So, I'm game for doing something to the rear end, but haven't come up with a good plan yet in my head to blend the chrome, gloss black and satin on the non-r exhaust skirt together.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi there, responses are below. Just got back from my business try so I'm adjusting from the Hawaii-Eastern U.S. time zone transition.

Hi Oakley,

You inspired me to order some of the gloss black vinyl fro shadowlinetrim.com...should be here Monday.

-Nice!

Couple of questions for you:

1. We're you able to wrap the rubber "trim" at the top of the doors too?
--I did not feel the need to, as it all looks like one uniform color since I went with the Matte black trim vinyl.
2. What'd you do with the back of the car? Did you wrap the horizontal trim piece under the Volvo letters? Did you keep your letters on?
--I haven't done anything with the back except change the exhaust tips. I have a '13 so I don't have the horizontal piece there. I would also recommend plasti-dip for the letters as its a bit easier to work with. You'll have to do some masking, but it's much more forgiving than the vinyl.

It seems the preference for detail work like our Volvo letters is to use plastidip instead of vinyl, but when I dipped my grille, even after five coats of glossifier, it didn't come out with the deep gloss finish like that of the B pillar trim.
--I have also tried the glossifier (on my focus) and it did not come out nice at all. I swore it off altogether as I am convinced I was just doing it wrong.

So, I'm game for doing something to the rear end, but haven't come up with a good plan yet in my head to blend the chrome, gloss black and satin on the non-r exhaust skirt together.
--Have you thought about the Heico-style bumper lip(s) from eBay? I'm ordering the front this week and will be ordering the rear later in the month. Would have done those sooner but ordered the rear sway bar from FCP instead.

Thoughts?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts