SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has this? I am thinking about getting this to replace the OEM unit as i am barely seeing 6psi of boost under WOT in any gear.

Saw a video on this on youtube it seems to work as a closed loop on light throttle and then vents to the atmosphere on WOT.

Do any of you have this? if so do you like it? is it worth the price? How was the install?

http://www.elevatecars.com/node/2489

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
im pretty sure you can get that directly from turbosmart... let me see if i can find where i saw it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,116 Posts
I bought mine off the focus forum for $100 shipped and sold it for $50... Long story there.
You can get these on Amazon a lot cheaper than what Elevate sells, but Don will work a deal with you, especially if you're buying the Elevate TCV and/or something else at the same time.

This is a great unit. Recirculates as much as it can and released the rest to the atmosphere. It's only really necessary when you're making excess boost and an upgraded CBV still lets air smack into the turbo. Or if you want a blow off valve sound.

The CBV is most likely not going to solve your issues for weak boost. Unless your stock unit is stuck open or you're hearing the painful turbo sputter when you life off the throttle... Boosting problems are going to be associated with the TCV if anything.

Install can go a variety of ways... Don't even think about installing this without pulling the axle, especially the dual port because it is TALL. You'll probably need to bend your oil line to make it fit perfectly.
It's a very tight squeeze for your hands, I found the DP and TCV to be easier than this thing. The screws are small and can easily be stripped or seized on.
Admittedly, this is a better solution than a blow off valve for venting excess pressure, but I'm going the BOV route.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well after installing my Boost gauge i have been noticing that the car barely gets into boost maybe around 2-3PSI at most and under WOT it will get up around 5 maybe 6 and thats it... so after looking on the elveate site i saw this...

"If your TCV fails, boost will be limited to only 5 to 7psi, depending on the spring pressure in the wastegate actuator, which severely limits performance." < I am seeing exactly that so it looks like i will be going the TCV replacement route instead of the CBV...

^^^ Does this make sence?

·
Super Moderator
15,116 Posts
Yeah, my S40 dropped to 8psi. Replaced the TCV and saw 10psi again.

If you're still on the stock TCV, that's the part I would replace first.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i guess ill start there and go from there... my car is quite strange and thats the reason why im diggin into this stuff. Once in a while it would build enough boost and rocket away and blow your mind. The inconsistency is whats driving me nuts... when it works im happy with the performance but when it doesn't its just mediocre at best especially on highway on ramps...

From most posts it seems that the TCV and the CBV both can be upgraded to bring it back to proper levels.

·
Super Moderator
15,116 Posts
Inconsistent boost is definitely TCV related. If you're always around 5psi, could be a weak vacuum line connection. But if it's good some days and bad others, sounds like a TCV.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it looks like i will have a few projects this spring... TCV will certainly be on my list of things to do. Along with a strut bearing on the passenger side and a few other small bits.

·
Registered
284 Posts
CBV can cause low boost if you have a tear in the diaphragm. Pull the vac line that comes from the manifold and blow in it. If you can get air through, you have a tear. I was seeing about 7psi with a torn CBV.

And yeah, that thing is way too tall. Even the normal sized CBVs are not a ton of fun to get in there.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
the TCV is on my list too. After you install yours will you do mine??? :)
Ill do your strut bearing for you lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just installed one last week for no other reason than I just wanted to. Its a pain go get off. you need some 1/4 drive extension and knuckles to get around everything but I was able to do it without pulling the axel. I did have to tweak the oil line about a 1/4 inch to fit it all together but nothing that made me worry about damaging anything.

So far its fun/funny and the sound is very subtle yet distinctly noticeable as a BOV. For $150 I couldn't resist and although it sucked getting it in I get a little chuckle every time I shift or let off the gas and that makes it worth it. Also no codes or lights thrown no mater how hard I try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts